Does your cat hunt down and eat rats/mouses outside your house?

We adopted a neighborhood cat not long ago and we have noticed it likes to hunt down and eat these rats or mouse don't get a good look at what it is.Today he caught one and ate it,I'm wondering does that mean he's hungry or is he just doing it for fun?I'm a little worried bringing this cat into our home,letting it sleep on my daughters bed with rat breath,do you think the germs from eating a rat could harm my daughters bedspread?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pets

• There is no harm caused by his hunting and eating them, they will often kill them and leave them at your door step as a gift to you.

Answer by older at 8:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• well considering your daughter's bedspread isn't alive i don't see how germs could harm it lol. but seriously, it's fine. it's what cats do
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I own 2 cats - neither of which are permitted outdoors. I don't believe in having a cat as a pet and allowing it to roam the outdoors. People who allow their cats out to roam to me are just abusive. The hunting thing is a natural instinct for cats and when you allow them to roam, you will have these issues.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Teens, how can allowing a cat to pursue hi/hers natural instinct be abusive??? what is abusive is controlling them inside.

Answer by older at 8:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My cats are inside cats
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• SOme cats are just hunters. The only thing that you will need to do is periodically have to cat dewormed
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I agree with TeensMom--in addition to what she said, I'd like to point out how an outside cat has a much more dangerous life and will typically only live a few years, as compared to 15 or more for an indoor cat.

http://maxshouse.com/Healthy+Happy_Indoors.htm

Also, I think it is cruel to the native wildlife to allow cats to hunt relentlessly. My neighbors have outdoor cats and it drives me nuts catching them in my yard, killing chipmunks and baby birds. They aren't hungry, they're just doing it for fun. I turn the water hose on them every time I see them in my yard. How is that fair to me and my family? We keep our cats inside so we don't have them decimating animals, only to have to deal with other people's cats. Very frustrating!

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My cats stay outside all the time. made them a home in the barn
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Ours kill them and leave them on the door step like they are doing something really nice for us. Its what cats do. they are hunters. And if a mouse got in your house they would do the same thing..
    mrogers86

Answer by mrogers86 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Isn't that what a cat is for?

tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2010