Names??

I have never understood why people name their kids one name and call them a totally different name. Why do people do that????

Asked by louise2 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't understand it. My husband has a nickname. But he got that nickname after he was born..
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• you mean as a nickname? sometimes they name the kid after someone else, and they use another name so there is not any confusion (like my grandmothers both named their daughters after themselves and one was called doll instead of agnes, and the other was called elizabeth instead of verna).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We are calling our son by his middle name because we like it. Named him his first name because of familly - grandfather did it too
    beachgirl7970

Answer by beachgirl7970 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I know I usually call my girl "Mo" because it just fits her personality. It's also a shortened version of her middle name. My sister grew up being called by her middle name instead of her first, as did my cousin. I think both my mom and my aunt did that because their names sounded better in the order they're in, John Cody instead of Cody John, Anna Beth instead of Beth Anna, but they liked their middle names a bit better. They both used the first names because they wanted to name them after someone who meant the world to them. I say whatever floats your boat, really.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Sometimes, it's a pet name that just ends up sticking. It's hard to choose a child's name before meeting the child, or getting to know them, and sometimes, another names seems to "fit" better later on. My husband didn't really like our son's first name, so he used his middle name. DS still doesn't talk, but responds to both names...
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 11:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my youngest ones name is Jalyn Jean, but we call her JJ for short and her papa calls her J-bug
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 2:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2010