Why do we tell little boys not to cry when something hurts?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Louise, society has been wrong about a lot of things and this is one of them, crying is a release of emotions and this is always a good thing, it is unhealthy to withhold emotions!!!

Answer by older at 8:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Men have been lead to believe it is a sign of weakness and unmasculine, but I don't believe one bit of it!

Answer by older at 8:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is not what a man does, cry. That is the way our society is. Men/boys do not cry.

Answer by louise2 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i have never told any my son's that real men do cry ,and they have heart and soul who ever telling your son this is not a real man but bully,
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have never told my son this and never will.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I never said That is what I believed. I was just answering her question.

Answer by louise2 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I never said this to my boys, I allowed them to cry and still do. There is no shame in a man or boy crying. Maybe men think its a sign of weakness but there is nothing wrong with having feelings. My husband has never told my boys to stop crying either.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I tell ALL of my children, regardless of being a boy or girl that crying is only going to make pain hurt more.
    I encourage my boys (and girls) to cry when they are sad, mad, disappointed, or any time it's appropriate, but never when frustrated and ready to give up. I make them take a 10 minute break, then try again, and again, and again until they get whatever it was they wanted to give up on.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Lol my son cries over everything lol
    patsymay84

Answer by patsymay84 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2010