Would you consider this an honor or an obligation?

Our local/state chamber of commerce is having a grand ball next month. The tickets cost $200 per pair. It is a costume party, everyone must dress in 1920's formal attire. My boss asked me to go (with a date) to represent our organization. She will buy our tickets and our clothing. I think this is a great honor and to me, means she has great faith in me. I mentioned it to a good friend of mine who said she would be irritated if she were asked to attend something like this.
What do you think??

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 8:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would be honored personally. Sounds like it is going to be a great event, and your boss is offering to pay for you to go! Shows that your boss really trust that you are the right person to represent the company that you work for!!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Honor
    Go have a great time, maybe your friend is jealous.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would say it is an honor.. and a responcibility.. I think you should still expect to conduct yourself in your VERY BEST MANNER.. As your going as an "Emissary" of your boss... But realize this kind of thing.. unless your in the ranks of the ELITE.. Is a rare chance.. SO ENJOY THE HECK OUT OF IT.. AND MAKE A FRIEND OR TWO.. YOU NEVER KNOW.. ONE DAY IT MAY PAY OFF..!!
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would be honored just as you and consider the fact that of everyone YOU were chosen, and its not costing you anything but a fun evening out
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would see it as an honor. Have a wonderful time.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I see it as both...she could have picked someone else but she chose you...that makes it an honor. Obviously your boss has faith in you to make a good impression for the benefit of the business..for that reason it is an obligation. Hope you like this kind of thing and have a blast!
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think it's wonderful! I love the 20s. I wouldn't worry about what your friend says, not everyone has the same idea of fun. If you feel good about it, then that's what matters. Have fun!
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 11:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would think it was a obligation. I am not a party/ball type person.

Answer by louise2 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• hmmm....I was thinking it would be fun, but now I think I agree with her....You are going to be working all night...blah! It would be more fun if u could just go as a normal person....but u wouldnt get free tickets or clothes!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would also consider this an honor

Answer by older at 8:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010