Why is it okay to ban Santa and Christmas, but it's okay to celebrate Halloween?

If a public school is supposed to be so neutral that there is no Christmas, why are they allowed to celebrate Halloween, Day of the Dead, or put up pictures of "witches" or talk about spells??

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would say it's because there isn't a "person" associated with Halloween, like there is with Christmas (Jesus, Santa, etc.) You aren't celebrating a person with Halloween (even though there are witches, and goblins, etc.) so, they tend not to make a big deal out of it. Do I agree with it? No, but...it is what it is. I think that if they are going to celebrate one holiday, then they should celebrate them all. JMO.
    Charlie98

Answer by Charlie98 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It's too bad they can't do anything in school anymore without offending anyone. If they take one thing away, then might as well take it all.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Ugh... Bring back Christmas. Leave Halloween alone Stop taking all the fun out of school- what little there is...
    Instead try to incorporate more holidays to teach the kids other holidays...

Its the parents that have the problem. they are afraid their kids may learn "another way" ...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think they should celebrate everything. We did in school and I loved it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Good question. I know many will say that Halloween is not a "religious" holiday, so it's different, but I disagree. There are many people who treat it as such, so you bring up a valid point.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• As an Eclectic Pagan.. I agree... if children are taught that there are many religions that exist and that we/they can all exist in harmony... the world would be a whole lot better! Acceptance and understanding is the way to go!

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• As a teacher I don't see anything wrong with celebrating many different holidays at school. Exploring the way different people celebrate all over the world isn't going to change the beliefs that the parents have instilled in their children, it will expose them to various cultures that are out there and hopefully make them more tolerant.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When I was in school we celebrated everything. The parents knew ahead of time and had the option of having their children sit in another classroom watching movies while the other students celebrated.I celebrated all holidays and it taught me a lot.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have no problem with students in public schools celebrating or learning about all holidays. My problem lies in the fact that they are picking and choosing which ones they will allow and which ones they won't.
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I wish that the kids could just be kids and have fun while learning at school. I remember learning about how diffrent countries celebrated diffrent holidays and I thought it was fun and intresting. They should go back to doing that again.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010