What age difference have you found is optimal between your children?

My husband and I are thinking about having another baby... our daughter is 14 months old, will be 16 months old when my husband is back. So at the closest, our kids would be 25 months apart; so 2 years.

Is that a good age difference? Or have you found a different age difference has worked better?

I know no 2 situations are the same and no 2 kids are the same.. but I'm just looking for advice from people who have "been there, done that"

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine are 18months apart..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• we have two girls btw.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• All three of my girls are 3 years apart. I wanted each one to be out of diapers before the next one was born.
    mom23girls541

Answer by mom23girls541 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• That is a great age! Go for it, Mama!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 9:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• mine are 3 1/2 years apart, it was perfect for us, my son had been potty trained for over a year and was very independant. He was in that "helpful" stage when my daughter was born and we never really had that jealousy. They get along great. My brother and I are 4 years apart and have always been close.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't really know if anything is 'optimal.' My first and second are 26 months apart... we actually wanted them closer but had a hard time getting pg. My second and third are 2.5 years apart to the day... I wanted them further apart but the third was a surprise. The two year age gap is all that I know so I can't compare to anything. It was hectic when there was a potty training toddler and a nursing baby at the same time, but I learned to multitask! LOL! Now the kids are 8, 6, and a couple months shy of 4 and it's very manageable.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My first 2 are 8 yrs apart and that to large of an age gap. My youngest is 5 yrs younger than the 2nd on and for me that is about perfect they each have their turn to be the baby for a while and being 5 yrs apart they appreciate one another. The two older ones really dont have that much to do with one another because of the large age gap they have nothing in common
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 2:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Mine are 4 years apart. When one started school the other started daycare so no double daycare expenses and pamper expenses and college expenses in the long run.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 8:51 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• when God gives me the next! I have a 7,4,3,1 and a baby due in january!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I, personally think that two years apart is awesome. I have a three year old and we are planning on having our second baby in about 6 months, ideally I did not want my children to be more than 2 years apart, but we are a bit late for that. We had a few uncounted for events happen (and I was unsure-AM unsure of a second child) and so, that delayed the process, but I say go for it, 2 years apart is great in my opinion.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2010