At what age do you leave a child in the tub alone?

When did you feel comfortable walking away for a minute? How old were your children when they started washing themselves? My boys are 2 and 3 and I cant even walk to the toilet if they're in the tub. I have to stay within arms reach just in case. I'm so paranoid.

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• 5 years old and even then i had thei rdoor open to the bathroom and i checked very often. you cant be too careful with that.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I didn't until my oldest was about 7. They can turn on the hot water and scald themselves.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I was going to say 7 also. I was always cautious and careful , made sure they didn't get hurt.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• In my house we do showers, not baths. I cringe at the thought of soaking in your own filth. Baths are just dirty to me.

My daughter is 3, and she can wash herself, but we shower together. At 5, I will let her start showering on her own.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You are not paranoid. You are a cautious caring mom. Do not change.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It depends on the age and how big is the child. There's nothing wrong with extra Safety. And being cautious! You know your own child. Nothing is more important then their safety. There's no do overs' in an accident. Better safe then sorry. So trust your own personal judgement knowing your child best.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Hmm, maybe 3 or 4, depending on the child. Make sure he/she has lots of toys to occupy them with while you leave for ONE minute
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 9:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I just started letting my son take a bath alone last year at 6, I still turn on the water for him to make sure he doesnt get it too hot, or too cold but other than that he is on his own, I leave the bathroom door open just in case he needs something but I'm sure he will start wanting his privacy soon.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My 4yo bathes by herself all the time or with her older sisters.  She has since she was 3.  My older kids were 3, 4 and 5 when they started taking baths without me in the room.  I was usually in the next room over (the kitchen) cleaning up from dinner.

They are 10, 9 and almost 8 now and draw their own bath or turn on the shower on their own and do it all.  I can't remember the last time I was in the room with them while they were in the bath/shower.  That goes for the 4yo, too.  The most I do is fill the tub for her and then she plays for awhile and washes up.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Just in the past year I have left my 5 year old DD and 3 year old DS in the tub alone but not for long. I am always close by, our whole house is within hearing range. My DD is very careful, cautious and caring of her little brother so she looks after him. If it's just him in the bath I do not leave him alone, furthest I go is my bedroom and leave the connecting door open while I fold laundry. BOth my kids know they are not to stand in the tub and do very well playing and having fun. It all depends on your kids' maturity and how careful they are I think. They also have just recently begun washing themselves, which is amazing! I can see the end of washing my babies ;) :(
    MamaZena

Answer by MamaZena at 11:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2010