What should I do about my mother's mail?

My mother passed away earlier this year and I am getting her mail in my mailbox. What should I do about mail she is getting? Should I write "deceased" on it and put it back in the mailbox or what?

Not sure where to categorize this...

Kword

Asked by Kword at 9:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Idk, Im in the same place. I just gather it up & throw it away.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• All mail should be forwarded to the excutrix of your mother's estate. (the friend, relative, or lawyer who is dealing with any property she left behind.) It's their job to deal with it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Im sorry for your loss.
    lilmoosesmom

• There was no one "legal" appointed to deal with anything. She didn't own a home or anything and I was the one she wanted to "take care" of everything. Nothing was legalized or anything though, so would I get in trouble for opening her mail or what? Oh, and in the state I live in, bills are automatically nulled once a person passes away so I shouldn't be responsible for those.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would just write deceased...return to sender on it and put it in the mail for them to mail back to who ever sent it.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 10:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If they are bills you need to answer them and tell them that she passed and they will probably need a death certificate from you. If they are junk mail you can trash them. You will not get in trouble if you are the only one left to handle things.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• ^^copy of the death certificate^^
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I've called all the places she had bills from and taken care of most of them, but the damn energy company won't discuss her account at all with me bc I'm not on her account (she was the only one on it) so I was like, well ok, but good luck getting her to discuss it with you.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• And I don't know if this one is a bill or not without opening it. :( I just want them to leave me alone!
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Go to the post office and tell them she is deseaced, they should be able to do something about it.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2010