To drink or not to drink an occational alcoholic beverage while pregnant?

PLEASE KEEP IT FRIENDLY!

AugustMidge

Asked by AugustMidge at 10:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am on the fence. With my first I was afraid to even drink powerade. All I had was water and almond milk my entire pregnancy except for an occasional swig of juice. LoL. The more research comes out, the more proof there is that a VERY occasional ONE beer or glass of wine will not harm anything. I still dont think I am ready to risk it as I would always wonder "what if" if something were to go wrong. Other parents though...I can see why they might.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Not. I wouldnt give my 2 and 3 year olds alcohol so I wont give it to my unborn.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• never while pregnant, im not risking anything
    Snavarro08

Answer by Snavarro08 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• no way the baby dont need alcohol if the mommy is thirsty then keep it G rated till baby is born...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 10:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Personally, I didn't (and wouldn't) drink during pregnancy. However, I was living in Europe while I was pregnant and many European women do have a glass of wine every once in a while during pregnancy. I say to each their own, as long as they are not over doing it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would never do anything that I know could possibly harm my baby.
    mom-de-uno

Answer by mom-de-uno at 10:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• not
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 10:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would never have a whole "drink"...I did take one or two sips of wine on occasional date nights with DH. (And I literally mean a sip or two.) It made me feel like I wasn't being deprived, but it was less than a mouthful total.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I was told NUMEROUS times throughout my pregnancy that drinking a beer or a cocktail every so often was ok. And even that the iron in the beer was good for me... And my SO was in a metal band at the time, so I was at a lot of shows that served alcohol. But I NEVER drank. Why risk it? You only have one chance to have a healthy baby. If that one drink causes brith defects, is it really worth it? I wasnt to me, and I hope it is not to you. Its only 9 months, and you can drink again.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I am a foster parent that has learned in depth about the different effects drugs and alcohol can have. Fetal alcohol syndrome is far more serious than meth and cocaine use on some unborn children. FAS is preventable. Why risk it? And I think if you choose to bring another life into this crazy world, they deserve your best throughout the pregnancy and the next 18 years. I could never risk the guilt. :(

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2010