TOYS GRR

How do u get ur lil ones to keep their toys in their room... my son likes to carry around those lil match box cars... and he forgets them sometimes and i step on them in the middle of the night!! OUCHY he also likes to drag all the toys he can into our bed room or the living room and at times the kitchen where ever i am... i play with him all the time! how do i get him to keep those darn toys in his room or at least take them back there.. we do do a clean up time but he doesnt wanna help!!!

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 4:29 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol. mY SON is the exact same way...lol. I make him help me pick them up. I got him a back pack to store them in and that's where they sleep. ;) get it. He has to put all his cars to bed before he goes to bed. My son didn't go for it at first but now its a ritual. Good luck
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• if my DS brings something out, when he's done playing with it and we're cleaning up, i tell him to bring it back to his room...if he doesn't, then i lead him to his room and make him put it away. he's gotten good and now every now and then he'll clean his room on his own. he's 19 months btw.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• my 2yr old will NOT clean his toys he brings them out and expects me to clean them up. He will SCREAM if i try to make him clean them up.
    Anonymous

• For the first seven years, children are mainly imitative - the younger they are, the stronger this is. He's a toddler? OK. When tidying up, lead by example and let him join in. No talking or ordering about - use a song you sing throughout the tidying time; something simple like a nursery rhyme song. The one I used in my preschool for 3 & 4 year-olds was "I met a little dusty gnome ... He said "It's time to clean our home ... Round, round, round, swish,swish,swish ... Clean our home." Singing and carrying a lovely basket to put toys into. YOU do it, let him join in. He's way too young to be responsible for his toys. And it is certainly ok that he brings his toys into the whole house - play is very important work for developing intelligence. Perhaps you can gradually cut down, without him noticing, on how many toys he has - 2 large cars are plenty, for example. Toy responsibility belongs with the parent until 6 or 7 ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Yep, of course a little one will scream if the day-dreamy state of playing is broken. This involvement is building a child's intelligence - brain connections, coordination, learning how things work, etc. They NEED this activity as much as breathing. Having their will-activity broken is truly painful for a young child. You can respect this. If something MUST be cleaned up, if you really HAVE TO interrupt this incredibly valuable play activity, then lead the play over into tidying. Have the car drive to its shelf because it is time for it to have its lunch there, for instance. And PARTICIPATE in what you want your child to do. How can a healthy child want to do something when his mother makes it look like it is a distasteful task she wants to avoid? Imitation is key.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Waldorfmom, that was kind of condesending.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2008