Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if a mother moves out of state and there is an order for visatation what will happen? the father dose'nt know because he has not been involved in the kids life so what will happen to her legaly? p.s. the mother has sole and physical custody

Answer Question

Asked by kimsboys at 8:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I think it depends on what is in the decision the judge made. I know when my sister and I were growing up a judge declared that my parents couldn't live further than 50 miles from eachother. As soon as my sister and I turned 18 my father moved to Maryland (we lived in New York). He had always wanted to live there but couldn't because of the judge. My mother had custody and my father had visitation.

    If the father hasn't been in the kid's life then all the mother would have to do is see about getting the court to change the ruling. Preferably the father should go with her if he agrees to it as that would be easier (otherwise they might have to do it in court again). A lawyer would help with that too.

    If she moves and it goes against the court ruling then she could be fined, lose her kid, go to jail, etc. It all depends on the judge and the state. Usually that would only happen if the father pressed charges though. Someone would have to bring it to t

    Answer by amethystrse at 9:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • Nothig will happen to her. If she reads the order carefully it probally states she needs to notify the dad of the move. and give him a contact number. Unless the order says she CAN NOT move out of state then she will be just fine legally.

    Answer by vbruno at 9:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • I would consult an attorney on that

    Answer by daisie at 12:02 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

  • I was a paralegal, having said that, nothing will happen unless the father goes to court and makes it known that he has an order and you are keeping him from what he is entitled to by the court order. But if you don't say anything and he does not say anything the courts won't say anything-they are only there to resolve problems and if neither one of you present them with a problem....they will stay out of it altogether.

    Answer by NicolleE. at 9:34 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.