What would you do if you woke up saturday morning autism child was missing

Well It was saturday morning I woke up and I was going to fixed my son breasfast I went in room he gone I look every where in house no where to be found. then I look out side he wasn't out side.I was in panic I called police look for him. My son can't talk to give out his name or address..The officer said he had dispatch another officer and got called from neighbor said there boy wondering in the street..So officer ask him his name He couldn't talk..Then officer decide to take my son to hosp get check out.. & gave me phone number where they took my son..Then i called hospital..I told staff at hosp officer said he brought in my son to that hospital Be check out..They ask me if he had curl hair I said yeah..I told nurse he can't talk he has autism..She ask me all his information So i told her his name & his birth date & his age..And his address..

Donna2007

Asked by Donna2007 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• i would freak out.

Not judging you.. im really sorry that this happened to you and your son... but how could he leave the house? do you not lock them?!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• You need to put his name on every item of clothing he wears.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Thank goodness he was found. You might want ton consider a child location device. I see one advertised a lot on tv, but they never say if its a chip thats implanted or if its a bracelet or something the kid wears. You should also do as EireLass said and put his last name on everything and maybe a phone number. I wouldnt put his first name on clothes because you never know if some stranger saw his whole name on his clothes and started calling him, who knows what a little kid would do then.
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 4:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My daughted did the same thing but it was during the day......it was absolutely the WORST day of my entire life!!!! Kids are resourceful....even if the doors are loocked they can get out!!!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 4:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Just because he cant talk dosnt mean he cant turn a dead bolt.....
    I would have been in a huge panic. I was getting my daughter out of the car the other day and always make my son wait on the sidewalk where I can see him while I get her. I turned to my daughter for not 2 seconds and he was gone! He had run into the house and upstairs but I was upset because he knows he always waits for mommy. I agree, put his contact info on all of his clothes including you and dads name and address with his condition in case it happens again.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 5:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I had a day like that, I searched the entire house, neighbors did too. We had a search party in a matter of minutes. My sister called the police, while I was running up and down the street screaming and crying.
    Even after all of us seached the house around 4 times all of us missed him sleeping in my closet under a blanket.
    I can laugh about it now but at the time hoowee
    oh and my sister had to call to cancel the police :)
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 5:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My kids wear a "dog tag" around their necks with their name address and phone number and me and hubby's names. Just incase they get lost or wonder off. They are on the bead chains that soldiers wear so they can't take them off.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I would do exactly waht you did, call the cops. I'm sure he's old enough to unlock the door. But maybe you should get those locks that are on the top of the door, like a chain. So he can't get out.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:51 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• have you thought about one of them bracelets they give to old people with altimerz (sp is bad). medical alert and they have the id info on the back. most people that see them recognize them and then they could call the police to call you.

hell the other day i was on the can and my son went out to play but forgot to shut the door and my 2 yo went right behind him. thank god i heard her as she went out cause i woulda been freaked to come out from the bathroom and she was gone.
    collegemom27

Answer by collegemom27 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Get a medical ID bracelet for him...
    http://www.bindependent.com/hompg/bi/bindep/store/aisles/gaincontrol/medmanageprod/idjewelry.htm
    They are adjustable so you could probably put it around his ankle instead of a wrist.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2008