Grades

My odd is in first grade. She is very intelligent and I have worked very hard with her. We oten do extra workbooks at home so she has a very good understanding of the things she is learning and often will work slightly ahead. Espcially with reading and writing since these seem to be her strong points while math she gets it but not her favorite. My question is this, she had a reading test (she got 100) last week and a math test (she got a 90) as well. She cried over the 90 saying it wasnt good enough. I explind it wa a great grade and how she will not ac every test. she finlly calmed down after dg and I had a talk with her. Am I pushing her to hard doing this extra work or is she to young to understand se cant get everything right? I dont want her growing up being stressed about grades.

katcb1019

Asked by katcb1019 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would just make it a point to let her know how proud you are no matter what grades she makes (of course if she makes a bad grade don't hound her about it, but ask her if mommy could help her try to understand something better.) Make learning fun and make sure she knows you are going to love and be proud of her no matter what.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My sister was the same way... when she was in third grade she came home with her first B, she then threw herself on the sofa, put her arm over her eyes and declared,"I'm not going to college!" She's still a prefectionist in many ways, but she was very sucessful in her profession and now as the mother to 4 girls.
    Just help her to understand that no matter what your proud of her. Let her know that as long as she tries her hardest, nothing else matters.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I was this way growing up. She is going to kick herself no matter what you say. Make sure that you let her know that you are happy and proud of what she is doing. If you pushed one way or another it would not make a difference in her reaction. She will be disappointed in herself even if she gets a 99%.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• With all teh extra work maybe she feels she is being pushed really hard and that is why she is being hard on herself. Maybe lay off of all of that a bit for a while?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Show her on the report card that the 90 and the 100 both just show up as A. No worries.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2010