Sleepless child

I have a little grl who is almost four yrs old. She is drivin me insane i can not get her to go to bed and stay there. She constantly is up and down from the time i put her to bed til midnite some nites. She screams and throws fits, it has gotten progressivly worse since her father came back into the picutre. But she has been up and down like this for 2 years. I am about out of ideas and have tried everything to new nite lites, blankets, music, and even rewards. I get excuse after excuse and i feel i am losing this battle. SHe wants to sleep with me and stay with me I have even tried spending time alone with her away from her sister. HELP HELP -Desperatly losing sleep

alleymonster

Asked by alleymonster at 4:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Of my 3 kids, all of them need different amounts of sleep. Don't make a big deal out of it. I have one daughter that will be 4 next month. She sleeps 7 hours a night, no naps during the day, and runs around all day. My oldest sleeps a little more than that, and even my baby bairly sleeps the recomended amount. Some kids just don't need as much sleep. If you stop fighting her, she won't be as bad to get to sleep, just let her stay up as late as you do, wake her up when you wake up, and don't let her take a nap.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My twin granddaughters have insomnia! They just turned 4, but we think it is because they were pre-mature at birth. They have just been diagnosed with insomnia and ADHD. They are seeing an ADHD specialist. He gave them something to help them sleep that is very mild and they are now sleeping through the night. They used to stay up all night long and sleep an hour and get up again. They got into everything while the family slept. After a while, even a baby monitor would work. My daughter was just wore out. She called me crying many times when she had just took all she could handle. I witnessed them getting up and got everything out of the kitchen cabinets and empty out all of the food in the middle of the floor and play in it. Nothing left in the house to eat!! See your child's doctor.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like your daughter is a nightowl like mine. Just a few ?'s. What time does she get up in the am? Does she still take a nap? If its a long nap cut it short only a half hour to an hour. Get her into a routine. Dinner, quiet play, Bath (try that night time soothing Johnson's Bed time bath) then read her several stories and then put her to bed. Explain to her that its bedtime and she's to stay in bed til' the sun rises. Keep up the routine and even let daddy help with story time. After a month or so it should help set her internal clock. HUGS. see my screen name :)
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2008