How do you get a child to take Strattera, when he cant swallow a capsule?? Help

Brandiwine7

Asked by Brandiwine7 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dd used to have to take something for UTI's. I would break the capsule apart and put it into a tsp of ice cream. I have also put powder med for son in shakes and soda,,,,I know,,,I will hear about this for the rest of my life, cause they remember,,,but it worked at the time, till they caught on to me.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Not for the extreme weak stomach.....but with my son, who still cant swallow pills we started the last time he had to be put on steriods doing this and it has worked GREAT! Have the child chew up some food, but not swallow... insert pill into chewed food and then have the child swallow. It is more mind over matter with my son, he can swallow large bites of food but cant swallow a pill. Good luck, hope this works for you.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 10:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Break open the capsule and mix in a tablespoon of applesauce..cannot taste or see the meds...it melts into the meds but still works. TEACH him how to swallow a pill by having him swallow mini M&M's.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I taught my DS to swallow pills by starting with mini M&M's , then we moved on to regular sized M&M's. Pudding will help push down any"stuck" pills.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I empty mine into a spoon of applesauce and then swallow the gross spoon, then eat the rest of the applesauce.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 9:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have no idea. My son still will not swallow pills but thankfully so far he has been able to get anything he has needed in liquid form. I remember being little and my mom mashing up pills and putting it in applesauce for me.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would not break it open unless told to by the Dr. that meds is more than likely time released so you will mess it up by opening it. I would put the whole capsule in something like pudding, applesauce maybe mashe potatoes. If it is coated them simple teach them to swallow it. If you still have troub;e then talk to the Dr.
    Durenda1982

Answer by Durenda1982 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My girl learned to swallow pills by practicing with mini marshmallows.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:46 AM on Oct. 13, 2010