Can the weight of the fetus affect the outcome?

When I had my first ultrasound done, my baby weighed 12 oz. at 19 weeks. I had the blood screening done for genetic disorders and it came back high risk for down syndrome (1/67). It is said that it can be wrong if the due date is off by even a few days. But what if your baby is bigger than the average 19 week baby? The average weight for a 19 week baby is 8.5 oz. Mine was 12oz.

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• One thing to keep in mind is that basing the size of the baby upon an ultrasound is not an exact science. They are not 100% accurate. I measured big the whole time and at induction they said that she would be 2 lbs larger than she actually was.

also, the EDD can be off by as much as 3 weeks. That is why they will let you go to 42 weeks before they start to worry.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It sounds like your due date is off.
    Thos tests are not accurate by any means, it is only a guess. That is why so many people (including myself) opt out of them, because they cannot without a shred of doubt detect any mental/physical illness in your child. It is only a percentage of a chance that can very much be off, by like you said, a due date being wrong.

However, by the size of your baby it does sound like the due date is wrong.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• First off Ignore those blood tests they told me my dd had downs too i done further testing and they were wrong...my levels were also high...and u/s are not always correct on the size and weight of a baby either...dont stress over the little things dont worry until your dr tells you to start worrying...
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i agree with the other mamas, i wouldnt start to worry yet, your due date may be off or the ultrasound could have been off. my aunts was told her babys had downs and she gave birth to a beautiful and healthy baby girl!
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• They told me my due date was correct though. And when I said "Isn't that a little big for 19 weeks?" She said it's not uncommon. So I am just trying to cover all the bases. I know the blood tests can be wrong. I'm just wondering if the weight of the baby could affect the outcome of the test, just like the due date does.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• NO test is fullproof. My cousin was told her son would be born with Down's and to prepare. My cousins son was born perfectly healthy and normal. I doubt weight can affect the outcome of the test. You should be asking this to your doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• the only thing size affects is wither u can deliver via vag or if u need c section dont let those genetic marker tests frighten u theyre are a high account of false positives
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2010