How do I get my DS to pick up his toys more carefully?

My DS is 7, my DD is 8 months old. She is at the stage where she sticks everything in her mouth. I don't want DS to not be able to play in the family room, but I am having a hard time getting him to clean them up completely. He leaves pieces of playsets and legos occasionally and I find myself pulling toys out of my DD's hands quite frequently. Today, I asked him to clean up his toys and I ran to the bathroom. When I came back, most of his toys were cleaned up, but DD had one of his toys half down her throat. He is generally careless about a lot of things. He understands the importance of keeping things she can swallow or choke on out of her reach, but he doesn't seem to making any effort to try harder to do so.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when my boys did the same thing I told them that they were not able to have toys downstairs and promptly moved all of their toys up into their room. they soon got tired of having to play away from everyone and so were allowed to bring down one thing at a time and then trade it for another when the first was picked up. I know you said that you want him to be able to play down with you all, but it sounds like he has to learn through concequenses which probably wont take long. I also read a post that said it was your responsibility to watch after her and not his, but he still has to learn to repsect and think of others which this is part of. just my opinon.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• The baby is your responsibility, not his, so don't tell him he has to pick up so she won't eat them. He should be picking them up solely because they cost money and you won't replace them if they are lost or broken. So he should be learning to take care of his things. If he doesn't take care of them, you remove them. Not throw them away, but maybe box or bag them up and eventually he'll learn. I'm sure they have separate bedrooms, you could put a baby gate at his door and he can play with all his toys in there (those that she can hurt herself on), and she can't have access to them. That way he can still have his door wide open to not be so shut off from the rest of the world.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• He doesn't close his doors, but he doesn't really like to play in his room. He doesn't like to be alone very much, and DH is the same way. He actually got his Legos taken away just two days ago because DH stepped on them three times after he was asked three times to clean them up. He actually has been cleaning his toys up since he was really little and doing really well until about 6 months ago. He has hit this kinda lazy, doesn't really want to do anything, rebellious stage.
    Anonymous

• I don't let my DD's Bring anyting out of their room that has a little pieces on it. I have a baby, and I can't be constintly checking to make sure that they have picked up all of the little pieces, so that is our rule. They can bring other things out to the family room, but nothing with small pieces, legos, polly pockets, ect. All of those must be played with in their rooms.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Follow him around, making sure he puts everything away before getting something new out, until he learns. Make sure toys all have a "home"- for example, a box of matchbox cars in the closet, blocks in the toybox, books on the bookshelf, play-doh in a tub in closet...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• My DD, 7, isn't allowed to bring toys out of her room. Once we move to our new place, we'll have a certain playroom where all the toys stay for both her and our son (2), but we're trying to have another so I want that habit already instilled in them. I don't want any toys in the family/living room at all. My daughter is usually good about picking up, but sometimes needs me to help. Try making it into a game for him. Tell him if he gets all his toys cleaned up in "such" amount of time, you'll play a game or he can have a cookie or something like that. It's usually the only way I can get my DD to clean up her room in a decent amount of time, and now DS is starting to pick up on it, too!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• When my daughter was little and didnt want to pick up her toys I told her if I had to pick them up I was giving them away if that dont work Literally pick them up put them in a bag and take care of them somewhere make him think you actually gave them away then remind him everytime you want him to copletely pick them up that if he doesnt you are going to give them away. Eventually he will learn and you can actually give the toys back to him.
    wlmead

Answer by wlmead at 4:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2008