Mommys, what's the diff between modular, mobile, manufactured homes?

How do I know what to look for? We are looking for a home. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Modular--the homes comes in parts and is put together on site.
    Maunfactured--the home is built off site, taken apart in big pieces and put back together on site.
    Mobile--is a trailer home.

I know mobile homes that are better than the house I live in. My mom's neighbor has a modular home and the only reason we know is because we watched the cranes bring the pieces to their lot and put it together.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• A mobile home will still have the axles on it and maybe the tongue. Most are called trailers. A modular home is assembled inside a building and is usually hauled by semi in 2 peices and then joined on the site. A manufactured home is the same as a modular (I thin just a different terminology). A stick home is built on the site by construction workers.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• mobile and manufactured are one in the same. They will have a steel frame and come on an axle. These will have HUD tag numbers and the fuse box will be on the main floor. They will be hard to finance. Modular is also called pre fab. They are made in a factory but are considered stick built for financing. They are built on a wood frame and will be delivered to the site in 2 + sections to be placed on a permanent foundation.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think that Jade is correct except modular. We had a manufactured home built once. It came in framed sections and built on site. I do not think that I am explaining it clearly. The frame sections are manufactured in a factory. They are shipped to site and assembled. The insulation, electric wallboard etc. are added on site the same as a stick built house.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• A mobile home is not a trailor. Look it up. A trailor can be hauled with a hitch on a truck. You can't put a basement on it.
    Mobile and manufactured are the same, they are put together in sections in a factory, and not built on site. You can add on to it and add a basement.

Modular is similar but has a lot of the furniture built in, etc.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Ack. Mobile is a metal box - a trailer home, not the safest thing. Manufactured is built in sections inside a building, trucked to the location, slid or lifted onto the foudation, and the peices are connected together - basically the seams are finished off. Modular is somewhere in between. My little brother just put up a manufactured home - really nice. Definitely more expensive than a mobile, but it's a real house, and looks like a regular house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• A mobile home is a also called a trailer. It's "mobile" because it comes with axels & a tongue hitch. Manufactured housing refers to any house that was not built on-site. a mobile home is also manufactured because it was not built on site.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:51 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Then WHY are manufactured homes listed under mobile home? My friend sells them, he knows the difference. A mobile home is not a traillor.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Here is the difference between modular and manufactured homes. Mobile homes to me are just a very very cheap version and not constructed well

http://www.hartlandhomesinc.com/faqs.html

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010