How can I help my self produce more breast milk?

On a good day I only get maybe 12oz. But on other days I get maybe 8oz my son is 4 weeks old and he is always eating... and I know that is normal.

Nicky89

Asked by Nicky89 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep pumping even after you're "empty" because you never are. The more you pump the more you make. Don't worry you will increase your volume with more stimulation, baby and pumping. I did that and by the time my son was 3 months old I could pump 8 oz out of each breast 4 times a day when I wasn't with him. Your body will make more if your demand goes up.
    hjpmommy

Answer by hjpmommy at 11:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Make sure you're drinking lots of water. Oatmeal can also help with milk production.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 11:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Make sure you are hydrated. Drink plenty of water.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thanks
    Nicky89

Comment by Nicky89 (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When I used to try to pump extra, I would look at a picture of my baby while I listened to a recording of him crying. I have to say.. every time I heard my baby cry.. I'd leak... or pump???
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• IS this what you are pumping in addition to exclusively nursing, or are you only pumping? If you are pumping this much in addition to nursing, then that is A LOT!

If you are exclusively pumping, to get more milk the best thing you can do is pump more frequently. The more frequently and completely milk is removed, the more milk you will make.

An excellent video on maximizing pump output at http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• try eating oatmeal too. It worked wonders for me!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 9:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• If you are exclusively pumping, then I would agree that you need a little boost. But if you are nursing, and pumping this on the side, I would say you are doing great! Tell me your schedule (nursing, pumping).
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• k are you only pumping or nursing also?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• water and plenty of it. I pump while at work and worry about not getting enough for my LO for daycare. My lactation consultant recommended Fenugreek, it's an herbal supplement and a galactagouge (?spelling) . I also try to not stress about it because that can affect your supply. Does your baby nurse at night. Probably great for your sleep if he goes long stretches at night without nursing but I have noticed that when I nurse at night, it helps boost my supply. Not fun being sleep deprived though :)
    ajlarsen

Answer by ajlarsen at 12:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010