Over 50: Have you considered going back to school for a new career?

I've been thinking about it and would like to hear others' experiences.

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 11:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well I'm not over 50, I am excatly 50 and have been in school for a couple years now. It is a complete career change and going to be rough compition for work when I get done. I have to be honest and tell you I do have many "what the hell am I doing" days BUT. I love it and can't wait to graduate and move up from shovelbum to archaeologist. My advice...Go for it.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I am not over 50... but think about going back to school for a new career all the time. I feel like I am buring out on my current career at nearly 35 and wonder what I will do next or not.

Career change is difficult since I make a good salary doing what I am doing and have a decent amount of job security considering the economy and I do still like what I am doing to an extent. Any change would be a step-back in terms of responsibilty and money.. so I just keep plugging along trying to make myself happy where I am. I really do osliate between a major career change that would require going back to school... and jumping in with both feet to what I am doing now to make enough money to retire early.

I know I am not in your advice category... but just wanted to let you know you are not alone with this tough choice.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I went back when I was 46 and I did so much better than when I was young. My kids thought it was really cool. I got a good job later---accounting. Go for it!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am 46 and am in school for real estate. I finish tomorrow night!! We have a woman in her late 50's in my class.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:13 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'd love to go back but am 51. I need an income right now. I always wanted to write. Pipe dream I guess like all the rest.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I once saw an old lady she must have been 70 or so dragging out her tote bag with books around the campus and I really admire her spunk. Go for it!
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My mom went back and got her BA and MBA, graduate when she was 55. I went back at 38, am now 39 and have 4 more years. Go for it, education is never a waste.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm 49, and I've thought about going back to school. Right now, for the first time all of my kids are in college or out of the house, and I'm spending my time writing. I used to freelance write for magazines and newspapers, but I homeschooled my 2nd and 3rd son, and just didn't have the time anymore. Now I'm working on a novel, but I am considering going back to school.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2010