any of you ladies make income off etsy alone? Or mainly by selling your arts/crafts?

Mind sharing your experience? Did you oneday just start making something, get better at it, start selling them, the word was spread and you became financially secure? With all the competition and bad economy I certainly don't expect to become financially comfortable from my creations, but being a homemaker to a toddler I have a lot of time on my hands lol. I have been crocheting a lot lately and would like to open an etsy shop oneday. I created a facebook page with some of my crafts but it's not a very ideal way to spread the word or sell anything. I have some "fans" but that doesnt help me lol. Mind sharing your experience with me?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Have you talked with Southern Belles or Friday Night Slumber Party groups on Facebook? They can really help you promote your facebook craft page. I've found a ton of sites because of them and bought from different people.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I haven't because financially stable, but have definitely started to fund my craft habit. I make fabric beads and jewelry from those beads. I also make things from objects that would either get thrown out or recycled, like the gumdrop container became a flowerpot, usually with a little silliness involved as well. I also make wall hangings and quilts and use the scraps for the beads.

I do mainly craft shows. I didn't do well on etsy because you have to constantly relist items and really be on top of things - at least in the jewelry. I may try again at some point, but I'm too busy with shows right now.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I have two friends that do very well on Etsy. I wish I was that creative! Good luck!
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I do pretty good on etsy but i also have my one website and sell at local craft and trade shows. I have been doing this for over 8 years now and it takes time to build up a following but i am pretty comfy now. Etsy is very competive no matter what craft you make so i would also look into craft shows in your area or even boutiques or craft malls.
    babemakes4

Answer by babemakes4 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I sell on hyenacart, if you crochet I think you would do better there (hyenacart.com no www in front) Its all I do for income and I also sell at craft fairs locally and bring my son with me. My husband gets unemployement, but I am the one "working" it takes a ton of time but I sew while my son is napping or alseep at night and sell on as many weekends I can at shows. Update the site everyday with what sells at shows. I make some sales online and through craigslist, although the bulk comes from craft fairs. Are you in a group on here dedicated to what you do? I get cafemommas to buy my items too through groups that allow you to advertise, although I also participate and ask questions and joke around in the groups so I am a known and trusted momma
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 12:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2010