Nikon D40 Vs. Nikon D80 Cameras.

I have a chance to buy a gently used NIkon D80. I have a Nikon D40 right now. I have looked up the difference between the two and know all of that.

But I was wondering your experience with these cameras?

My Nikon D40 has a problem Auto Focusing. I have talked to another person with the same camera and they have the same problem. Is this with all Nikon D40, Its a big problem with me because I work alot with Kids and I need that quick second photography to catch their special moments.

What would you pay for a Nikon D80, gently used? Comes with a couple other things as well. Like eternal Flash, sun deflector, filters, and camera bag.

Hes also selling a Nikon N80, I think? Its a film camera very nice. with a 75-300 Nikon Lense, but it doesn't not auto focus on the digital one. What do you think this is worth?

I am just looking for some experience tips with the Nikon D80, How much it would be worth? If its worth switch

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• just weigh the drawbacks its easier to decide that way
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 2:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Nikon D80

Drawbacks

* Wide isn't wide. If you do scenic work, as I do, you need DX lenses to restore your wide angle due to the 1.5x angle of view change. We've now got enough pixels that the flaws of wide angle lenses, particularly chromatic aberration, are more apparent. The 12-24mm is a decent mate with the D80, but you'll see that it has a bit of CA you weren't seeing with the 6mp bodies.
    * Noise at higher ISO values. While I'm perfectly happy with the ISO 100 to ISO 800 performance, some will want even better results. High ISO noise is definitely there, though JPEGs are mostly free from chroma noise.
    * White balance encryption. Despite being dealt with by the mini-SDK, it still is a lurking thorn (see my D2x review for more details).
    * Diffraction. Being diffraction limited at f/13 or so is a bit limiting.
    * Battery lack of life. NEF shooters are going to be disappointed. You'll be lucky if you can
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 2:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• D40

Drawbacks

* Kit lens blues. The 18-55mm is a more than decent lens, but I'd like to have the option to buy a body only in the US (it's available as body only in Japan, and you have the option with the D40x). The D40 would have been killer with an 18-70 VR or 18-135mm VR, by the way. The current purchasing option is a bit limiting.
    * Nother new battery. Did we really need another new battery just because the camera is a smaller size?
    * Not for the late-to-the-party film converts. If you've got mostly AI, AI-S, and older AF lenses and are just now getting round to going digital, the D40 (or D40x) isn't the camera you want, as you'll be resorting to manual focus.
    Kittty_Katt

• My dad is a professional photographer who uses a D80 for his "snapshots". He has a D4thousandmillion for pro shoots, LOL.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010