What do I need to do to start a petiton?

Do I need a lawyer involved? Will it cost me anything? (other than lawyer fees if one is needed) I want to start a petition to require everyone who receives government assistance to be drug tested. And if they fail, they will be ineligable for assistance for at least 6 months. I think it would help clear out a lot of people who abuse the system. And for the ones who fail, they may clean themselves up if they realize they wont recieve any help if they can't help themselves.

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Just go sign this one.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Think about the children that you will be taking assistance from because of their parents.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• In my opinion, if they're parents abuse drugs, it may be a better life for them. Speaking from experience. Growing up my mother abused drugs & alcohol, and I saw things and went through so much because of it. I grew up on assistance, my mom always had a way around everything. And most of it has scarred me for life. I am doing this because I think there are a lot who could relate, and agree.
    Jessica1991

Comment by Jessica1991 (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Sounds like an excellent idea Jessica. Yes....drugs are bad and the people who use them need treatment. And I hate to think of money given to them, then used for drugs,And children in homes where drugs are used would be better off somewhere else. I hope you can effect chage with that petiton! Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• This is a wonderful idea, I would totally be willing to start one in my area as well....I am not sure how to get something like that started however. If you find out any information, please let me know!!...I grew up in the same circumstances and even though know I am grown and taught myself to be better then that, I can remember every single day just wishing someone would come take me out of there along with my siblings.

I wouldn't waste the time of signing any online petitons. They really never go anywhere. GOOD LUCK!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• In an ideal world it makes sense. However, the foster care system is a scary, ugly place most of the time. If you think people on assistance are cheating the system, let me tell you, there ARE foster parents out there taking the subsidies and that should NOT have children in their home. Unfortunately, there are far too few people willing to foster and far too few DHS workers to diligently investigate foster homes.

I'm a social worker, I work with the most disadvantaged families in my county and I would personally not want to risk taking a child away from loving parents and putting them in foster care just because the parents smoke pot sometimes at night. Crack, yes, but to add stipulations would be to assume that some common sense is going to happen somewhere in the system.

Besides, let's just start with not allowing women to take babies home from the hospital after they've already had children removed. Happens all the time
    MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 8:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2010