My child won't spend time with me...What should I do?

She is 7 years old. We recently moved to a new city and she is having a hard time adjusting. She whines every night before bed and every morning before school about how she feels sick. She gets so anxious that her stomach hurts. She doesn't want to go to school. We got her in to see the school counselor 3 times a week. She isn't open about her feelings. If you try to talk to her she rolls her eyes or changes the subject by being silly. I respect that she isn't very emotional but I have tried to find ways to hang out with her that could help he relax as well. For instance going for a walk at the park or doing children yoga together. I thought it would help her without talking about things and she loves to be active but she won’t do it because she says it is embarrassing or stupid. How can I get her to open up to e if she won't talk or do activities?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try doing activities she likes, not the ones you want to do. If she's not into what you pick she's not going to cooperate. Don't push for feelings, just be there for her. She will share when she is ready. My mom told me when we moved, and I was in 1st grade, it took me the whole school year to adjust. Be patient, but be available with out being pushy - just b/c you need to talk about your feelings doesn't mean she needs to!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Morgain is right, try to take an interest in something that is her favorite thing right now. Whether it is a music or movie or whatever. I hope that you are able to break through soon.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Take an interest in her interests.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 9:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I agree in talkign to her about things that SHE wants to do. Hopefully that will give some common ground for you to build on. Good luck!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2010