Do you let your boys play w/toy guns?

My 4yr old got one for his bday a few weeks ago, it was hidden somewhere in the toybox, but last night my 21month old found it& he was playing w/it making little sounds as if he were shooting someone, i know he gets that from tv, it just freaked me out n told my hubby to take it away from him.Should i throw it away or am i just being to strict about it?

gabby06

Asked by gabby06 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my son gets old enough I woulnd't let him play with them
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Guns are not toys and should not be used as toys.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my son is 6 and he has alot of toy guns.. i really didnt agree with it at 1st, but my husband did. he plays with them but we taught him to NEVER point them at anyone. * try to keep them as inside toys because one day i was running into the bank to make a deposit and i didnt notice my son brought one of his toy guns from out of the car, well when we got into the bank i noticed everyone i line staring at me, then the security guard came up to me and told me that my son could not have that in here. i looked down and he was holding a toy gun and had one stuck down in his pants!
    king0913

Answer by king0913 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• No No No because your sending a message that it is ok to play with GUNS peroid. Weather it is real or fake And if they play with the fake one they will play with the real ones when they get older.
    MrzWil_1

Answer by MrzWil_1 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i remember when my 4yr old got his first toy gun , i dnt but them , it was his 2nd bday n someone gave him a metal looking one, it was an old fashioned one, the ones that you put those round orange plastic things in them& they fire smoke, i was like wth, who would give him that? it was a little too real,i threw it away that time but i didnt think anything about the plastic one he got this year up until last night.
    gabby06

Comment by gabby06 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My boys have the nerf guns but arent allowed to shoot at people. We pretend we're chasing aliens and shoot at them. They are also not aloowed to make the sounds with their mouths. They havent had a water gun yet but I'm sure they will as long as they dont pretend to be killing anyone.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i talk to my kids about violence and i tell them as much as i feel they should know...i just think if you raise your children the right way then it should not be a problem...military uses guns so i tell my kids the good and the bad...can not make the world a scary place to be in but can not make the kids it's always safe zone...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My boys had nerf guns and water guns, but nothing that looked real. I think its important to talk about gun safety regardless of what kind of toy guns there are in the house. They need to know the difference between what is a toy and what is appropriate play and what is a real gun and the safety precautions when around one.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I remember having water guns as a kid but that was always about running around& trying to get everyone wet, but w/some of these guns , they try to make them look a little too real.
    gabby06

Comment by gabby06 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My kids are grown but, NO- i did not let my son play with them- i was a School Guard at a High School & oneday a car full of kids drove by & pointed a play gun out the window at me & a group of kids that was crossing the street- i had no idea it was a toy b/c they look so much alike from a distance; i screamed for everyone to hit the gound & try to shelter eachother- it was one of the scariest things i have ever went through- i did get the license # & had to go to court over it- That was a long time ago- but, it is still very fresh in my mind........ i wish they would stop making them!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010