Those who choose not to participate in Holiday celebrations at work...

Do your co-workers make you feel awkward for not being part of the festivities? Do they ask why you abstain? If so, how do you respond? This includes birthdays, too.

69humblepie

Asked by 69humblepie at 11:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i work in a place where i'm the only JW and they are all fine with it and respect me. i love them all they are a great team to work with. We respect each other and that is important to me.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I had the same problem, I'm Jewish, which is why my answer is anon, I've been bashed and other things so many times for it.
    but I didn't want to participate in the decorating of the 'holiday tree', the HR woman came to me and tried to tell me 3 times that I had to put my name on a ornament and put it on the tree. I told her I didn't want to .
    so it wasn't so much the co-workers as those that are supposed to be in charge that gave me heck!
    Anonymous

• Wow anon , i would never do that to anyone, at a call center where i used to work at, i twas your choice, now a clinic i onced worked at, i had only been there for a week & my supervisor asked me to pitch in $20 to buy her supervisor a massager for his chair, i told her staight out no.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Personally I only had a problem with Christmas for a while. I use to love that holiday not for presents but for the feeling it seemed to bring out of people. Anyway several years ago I found out for a fact that my husband was cheating on me when he a day before Christmas and the day after went to work coming up with a lame excuse that he was stranded on a bridge close to our home and I finally realized that my mother was going to pass away soon. That ruined things for me for a while and after we split up Christmas wasn't the same. At work I just said I didn't care for it. Was not a Christmas kind of person. But you know, now I am thankful at Christmas because I am doing a heck of a lot better and my life may not be the best but it is more fulfilling. I guess what I am saying is don't care what others think. We all have reasons we don't connect to certain holidays or events and who has the right to judge or question why?
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My coworkers have never had a problem with me not celebrating. They know why and they respect that,and I respect the fact that they celebrate. On my birthday, they know not to wish me a happy birthday too. I just don't like the way some people respond when they find out I don't celebrate. They feel sorry for me and believe me, they shouldn't because I am not missing out on anything. I give and reveive gifts all year round. It's okay with me.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Sadly, my work is the complete opposite now. We used to have this out of work,,party. That ended a long time ago. Then we adopted a family for Christmas for years, and that ended last year. We dont even put up a tree anymore. The whole atmosphere of the work place has changed, Im ok with it, but its kinda sad too, that it came down to this. I guess its the economy,,,or maybe the work enviornment itself,,b/c its so negative now. If you dont want to participate then dont, its your choice. I find our work enviornment, cold, uncaring and very impersonal. Its hard to go from one extreme to the other after seeing such an out pouring of love for so many years...It is what it is,..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I was in a great work environment in California. We had a tree AND Hanukkah decorations and Kwanzaa and of course Yule. No one was forced to put anything on any tree. We didn't exchange gifts or anything but the atmosphere was definitely festive to say the least.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I feel that way when it comes to celebrating birthdays at work. There are too many birthdays and how much cake can someone eat. It is a little awkward if you don't want to eat the cake with everyone else.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I tell them kindly I do not participate in the celebrations for we do not believe in the holiday. We love Jesus, but due to many references and facts, we learned He was actually born at another time. We have no wish to dishonor Him. But we respect the right of others to celebrate His birthday on the day they are familiar with.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I never had an issue with the holiday party itself - the company(ies) I worked for were really good at making it a true holiday party with no religious overtones. What I had a huge problem with, and was criticized about, was me not participating in our "adopt a family" program. Each department got a family. My dept. decided that it would be "better" to go meet the family, set up their decorations for them, and deliver the presents personally. (All of the others had their families pick up everything at our offices.) Giving is supposed to be about doing a good thing, not running around like you are Santa. I gave money, then washed my hands of the whole thing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2010