How can I get my dog to SHUT UP!!!

She always whines when she can't sleep on my couch. They lost the priviledge when I stepped in pee in every morning. So now they have to sleep in their crates at night. She whines all night long, never stops, I tell her quiet, offered her blankies, and ended up using a squirt bottle on her because I'm at my wits end. No one is sleeping! It's like nails on a chalk board! HELP!!!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pets

• When our dogs slept in crates we covered them up with a sheet or light blanket.During the day we left the front of the crate uncovered and the door open so they could go in and out of the crates when they wanted to.I still do this with the puppy pen when I have a mom with a litter.It makes them feel more secure.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 12:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• do you have access to that cable show, "dog whisperer"? I dont have a dog, so Im no help, but I have watched that show and he seems pretty smart about dogs. Maybe look up his website,,,good luck and hope you get some sleep mommie
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Feed him. Give him some LOVE>
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I felt so bad spraying her with the squirt bottle, but it worked for a little while. I just couldn't do it anymore and there is nowhere else in my house to put her!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Believe me the dog gets plenty of attention and food, it has nothing to do with it.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Tikismom, I think I'm going to try that! Thanks!!!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Is she in the same room as you? If so, move the crate to a different room. Don't put her in until you are ready to go to bed. In your room, put on a fan to create some white noise to drown out the sound of the whining. You could try putting some music on for your dog as well. Just some general suggestions.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 12:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes a blanket over the crate...
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• No, they are in the kitchen. And they don't get put away until we go to bed. She actually gets mad if we leave. She is a big baby and needs my love every second! lol
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Do they get enough exercise? A tired dog is a good dog, and I'm not talking about just a walk around the block. Take her on a good walk, at least an hour, even if she's a small dog she still needs to walk!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2010