help! i live in the ghetto!!!

so it's not harlem, but it's income based apartments. people play loud music all hours of the night. they sit outside drinking and being loud. their kids are mean and violent. i mean little kids. they curse and hit and throw trash on the ground...i have an almost 3 yr old and a 3 week old. i am afraid to take him outside to play. our lease is up in 6 months, but what can i do in the meantime. we stay cramped up in our small apartment. i have no car...long story there... and my spouse works looong hours (9am-10pm) i feel lonely and irritated alot. i know my son feels the same way. any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• is there anyone at all in your building you can relate to? is there affordable housing elsewhere in a more family-friendly neighborhood?
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Is there a park you could take them to?
    Anonymous

• I was in a similar situation, we basically lived at the park. It was about a quarter mile and went all the time. It was the ONLY way I survived. My son actually didnt start sleeping through the night until we moved out.
    Just make sure you have a good stroller or wagon it's a life saver and find activities to do off the computer for the rainy days.
    www.raisingourkids.com
    www.dltk-kids.com
    Anonymous

• If you live near a public library, you could find out when story time is. My situation is the opposite of yours. Their aren't too many children in our neighborhood and most of those are girls. My children are all boys.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Been there, done that. I would make a day trip once a week. We would catch the bus, or get a ride from a friend for a few hours to a nice park that was not too far. I would pack a luch, drinks and snacks and we would go and enjoy the park. It is a nice outlet for you and the kids. I would even use it to bribe my son into behaving. It worked well for us!!! Good luck to ya!!
    jaimeesolo

Answer by jaimeesolo at 8:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I know how you feel, I live in an unsafe apartment complex. And I only go out in the daytime and if I go to the laundry mat at our apartment, I always walk with mase in my hand with my finger underneath the trigger. I feel bad for my 4 yr old because he has all this energy and no where to put it. But when my husband is off we try to take him and our 5wk old son to the park at least once a weak. Plus our oldest son goes to preschool so he gets some energy out that way. Good luck and if you would like to talk, so you don't feel like it's just you feel free too
    BraedensMom0327

Answer by BraedensMom0327 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2008