When did your child start preschool?

My DS just recently turned two. I am thinking of starting him in an early preschool now but can't decide. I don't want to push to hard and kill his joy of learning.

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 12:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter started preschool about a week after she turned 2. (3 hours/2 days a week)She is now in kindergarten and still has not lost her love of learning. She knows more than any kid in her class, does her work before the teacher is even done with the lesson, helps her classmates when they need it, and comes home to do workbooks and printouts.

My son (3) just started preschool (the other preschool closed, otherwise he would have started at 2). He absolutely loves it, and is very upset if he doesn't get homework sent home every day. He has totally come out of his shell, plays with other kids, and has learned so much, just in the past month.

RE:Potty training....depends on the school. Our preschool will accept children that are trying, but not quite potty-trained, it just makes it a lot harder for the teacher who is trying to teach the other 15 kids and has to constantly stop to deal with one.
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 1:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My 1st boy went when he was 3 1/2 but that was after he qualified for the public school for speech therapy. I was so delighted he could get some help AND work on socializing as he was soooo shy, and never had been in daycare. This time around, my baby just turned 3yo. I am in NO hurry to send him off and do my own preschool with him. So I've decided he'll start next year at 4 yo. 1yr. of preschool is plenty IMO as children I think are ushered off to school so quickly. I want this stage in his life to be more than classroom learning, it should be about learning on the world threw his eyes, exploring the outdoors and having fun, lazy days in the sun!
    MargoRo

Answer by MargoRo at 12:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son never went to preschool. My daughter will go when she is 4, which is next year. I work with them a lot so they really don't need it, but my daughter loves being surrounded by people so I will put her in for a year:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• All three of my kids that are already in school went to preschool at 4 yo
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 12:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My oldest went to Legacy Academy and my Youngest went to La Petite. Legacy was better educationally but La patite was fun. They even had santa come and hand out books! No public schools do that anymore and hardly any preschools.
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 12:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• oh both my girls started pre school at 4 any earlier is to much imo as well
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 12:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• in prek they mainly work on the kids abilty to handle being away from you. but they have to be three and potty trained. at least in the two states i've lived in those were the rules. but i sudjest going down and start asking questions. my two loved it. my youngest got robbed of going. read the vent on my page. to get the full picture on that subject. but i would get the ball rolling now even though you may have to wait a year.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• 2
    BlushingDaisy

Answer by BlushingDaisy at 1:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I home school. DD is almost 3. We have been doing preschool level work for over a year. She has recently moved on to kindergarten level work.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My oldest is 2 1/2 and we haven't started yet. She is in several outside activities though.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2010