Do you know any good resources for Teaching a Toddler Spanish?

We live in California and I think in this day and age its essential to be bilingual. Since the brain is most receptive to learning language at under five its important to start now.

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 12:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• How old is your toddler? I am an elementary school Spanish teacher - I teach K-9th grade. I've been teaching my current group of Kindergarteners for about 6 weeks and dang! do they pick things up fast!

There are a lot of classic books translated into Spanish, like Dr. Seuss, and the translations are pretty good. If you don't speak Spanish, you can still learn to read them pretty well since Spanish is a phonetic language and has pretty set pronunciation rules. Also, Scholastic has an entire Spanish books club (Club Leo) and usually offers little phonetic book sets for learning to read (and speak) Spanish.

For a toddler, your best bet would be to expose them to as much Spanish as possible. If you aren't bilingual yourself, find a bilingual babysitter, or a playgroup mom with bilingual kids.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Maybe see if there are educational shows for Spanish toddlers that you can have him watch. (like ones that teach colors, numbers, etc.) If you're in the right place there could be a Spanish immersion language school near you that may have classes for younger kids.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 12:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• BUMP! I would like to know too! My DD is almost 3, we home school & I want to incorporate more Spanish in to her already extensive English vocab (she already can count to 10 in Spanish & knows whatever else she hears on Dora & DIego, I would say somewhere around 30 words) I am in Southern California, where are you OP?
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Spanish was my first language & my eldest doesnt understand it,i never spoke to him in Spanish, he will listen to mySpanish cds& sing along but doesnt understand what they are saying, now my 21month old i started taking to him in Spanish & he understands it a little.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• muzzy? i havent tried it myself
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 2:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would try Rosetta stone. My school uses it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2010