Spacing of kids

My husband and I are trying to decide how we want to space out our kids. We were originally thinking we didn't want them any closer than 4 years apart, but now we might be changing our minds. Do any of you have pros or cons for us for having kids close together? We're thinking 18 months to two years now, but would it be better to try for 4 years instead? Thanks!

mrscat206

Asked by mrscat206 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• Ours are 4 years apart and that's perfect for us. My preference is to NOT have 2 in diapers at the same time.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i had my kids 3 years apart it was kinda hard with both of them being in diapers it all depends on you tho any decision is fine mine were not planned so good luck
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Plus when my daughter was 4 she thought her baby brother was so freakin awesome, and her reaction to seeing a baby was just too awesome :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:20 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I have 3 kids and they are all 2 1/2 years apart. i have one brother that is 3 years younger than me and another that is 9. I am close to the one that is 3 years younger, but I left for college when the other was 9, and don't really know him. I would say the closer, the better. The closer they are in age, the better friends they will be too.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• My husband and I originally planned for our children to be 2 to 2.5 yrs apart. My brother and I were two years apart and could play together, since our ages were close enough to have similar interests, and fight together since we were close enough to not have an advantage of size, LOL. My son and daughter are 5 yrs apart. Things didn't go as planned, WOW, life doesn't always go as planned, giggle. Well, in the younger years my daughter help take care of her little brother and loved him to no end. Then when he was 5 and she was 10 the age gap made it so they did not like the same toys and tough to play family games with that spread. They got along well. At age 10 and 15 they tolerated each other. Now at 13 and 18 they love music together and sports. We now can play family games together. I don't think it really matters. I am really glad though that they were not both in diapers at the same time.
    Meerkatie

Answer by Meerkatie at 9:36 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I'll have 3 under 3 as of this March and I love it ( My oldest will be 3 about 4 weeks after the baby is born). It's tough on your body, but so worth it. I love being able to "be done" before I hit 30. :)
    meitaimom679

Answer by meitaimom679 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2008