How old do you think is a good age to watch Ghost shows on tv like Ghost Hunters?

My kids love this show. My 10 and 8 year old however seem to have some fears with going to bed after watching and a nightmare here and there. They say it isn't because of the show, but I am not convinced.

BlushingDaisy

Asked by BlushingDaisy at 12:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well of course it's because of the show, lol! I'd say 11 or 12 is a good age for that, 8 is definitely too young but they've already been watching it, so I doubt they'll stop watching it.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son is 9. He watched Ghosthunters once and wanted the hall light left on all night. He has never watched the show again...
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My oldest dd's dad has let her watch that show for a few yrs now and it scares her but she likes to be scared....or so she says. I haven't seen it, but our family doesn't believe in ghosts so I couldn't really say! Sorry!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my daughter watches them with me now and has since she was born. I put a limit more on the faked out shows, like scare tactics. Those can be a bit frightening for her. But she might as well watch the show, since it's much different than our home, lol. (We live in a house that is haunted).

(she's 2 1/2). I guess the biggest reason why I let her watch some of them, like ghost hunters, is because I want her to know not to be afraid. Plus, she now thinks it's cool that she got to meet them when she was a baby at one of their conventions.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• have they told you what the nightmares were about? maybe theres stress in the house, that gives my girls nightmares. do you talk about the show after it's over? right now thats all i got. i'm falling asleep as i type.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think if you are going to let them watch it though you should watch it with them. Be sure they are aware that most of the things they encounter never hurt the team and most ghosts aren't there to hurt you.

Maybe a good book about the paranormal might help them feel more secure as well. (just be careful which ones you buy, some are religiously influenced and tend to make things scarier than they really are.) If you want, feel free to PM me and I'll recommend some good books
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Weird nightmares...but only a few. I tell them as they are watching the show that it isn't real and that they are just acting scared to get bigger ratings! LOL. I think they believe me. I love the show and they do, but I think it might be too young yet. My husband and I have been debating about it seeing as it will be on again this Friday. He doesn't believe in ghosts at all so he has a very hohum approach to the issue.
    BlushingDaisy

Comment by BlushingDaisy (original poster) at 12:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• if they are comfortable watching i would let them. nightmares and fears happen regardless.. good luck
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 12:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i am almost 27 and i can not see those kind of shows....lol i will be up all night talking to my husband cuz i will be too scared...lol
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 12:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my 5 year old dd watches ghost hunters with me, she likes to walk around the house with a flashlight and say she's a ghost hunter and beg me to turn all the lights off! i think ghost hunters is an ok show. i think it's harder for the younger ones to really grasp what's going on in the show. plus the ghost hunters pretty much deal with "friendly" ghosts. now, ghost adventures, i can't even watch that show! it freaks me out. they deal with demonic or evil spirits, and call them out on every show. it also talks about the spirits hurting people. so we don't watch ghost adventures, but ghost hunters is fine. my dd is over it about half way through anyways.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2010