What can I do to get him on the bus without a fight???

My son is 4 and for the last couple of years was always excited to go to school. For some reason this school year started and there must be too many changes because he fights all the way. I have to physically put him in his seat and buckle him in now!

seturkey

Asked by seturkey at 2:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sounds to me like there may be something going on here more than him just suddenly not liking school. Try talking to your son, see if you can get him to tell you why he doesn't want to go to school. It may be that he's being picked on or that he doesn't understand his lessons and so is starting to hate school. If you can't get him to tell you what the problem is maybe try taking a day to observe him in class. I would try to be very discreet about it. Maybe just drop by an hour or two after his class has started or before it ends and stand back where you're less likely to be spotted so you can observe what is going on and maybe identify the issue.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 2:27 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Really if that's the issue there isn't a whole lot to do other than give him time to adjust. Maybe talk to his teachers about sitting in on a class with him so that he has the comfort of a parent there and maybe feels more comfortable interacting with the other kids, or see if there's something the teachers can do to help him feel more comfortable around them. I would also suggest trying to make going to school some kind of a treat for him, or something that maybe leads to treats. Maybe make it so that if he goes to school without a fuss he can have his favorite treat or extra play time or something like that when he gets home.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 2:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• He's 4. There's your answer. At 4 years old a child is experiencing a lot of changes in his life and we, as parents, don't see it because we have been taught how to deal with change. He hasn't quite worked it out yet, you need to guide him to better ways to deal. Although all the answers above are good, you also have to look at the other side of it. When my kids went to pre-k at 4 YO they would cry and be scared. I always reminded them it is OK to be scared. When they came home, we would always discuss their day- so I was always able to see if any big changes took place AT school. You should GUIDE your child to ways to deal with stress and change. It may be something as simple as being away from you. Try to spend a little extra time with him when he gets home AFTER discussing his school day with him. 4 year olds LOVE to talk! Guide him to talk to you about his day, if there is a problem, he'll tell you.
    FinaOrlando

Answer by FinaOrlando at 9:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Honestly I am pretty sure I know WHY... He has all new teachers for the first time in two years and a bunch of his friends have moved on in school. But since I can't get those things back I just don't know what to do.
    seturkey

Comment by seturkey (original poster) at 2:31 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• He's 4? How long has be been in school for??
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Is it the bus he doesn't want to go on? Drive him in to school and see if the attitude is better.....you need to pinpoint the area of the problem. If it is riding the bus, maybe he's getting picked on. Get the bus drivers' phone number from the manager of the bus garage. I always did when my kids went to PS just in case I needed to talk to him/her. If the bus ride is the problem talk to the driver. S/he should be able to tell you what the problem is. That driver, if the problem IS on the bus, should have been in contact with you by now about it. GL
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I don't think new teachers would be a problem. Kids are pretty adaptable to new things. There may be something going on, on the bus that the driver doesn't see (or chooses to ignore) or a bully or something. Try talking to him and see if you can figure it out. The next step would be his teachers,
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Be consistent. Keep putting him on the bus and her will get over it. My twins did this for awhile after Christmas break last year. It lasted a month. Then happy girls again.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Is he going to head start? I would not force him. I would look into what is going on in that room when you are not there. My son had a terrible time and I refuse to force preschool on him if he is unhappy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• bet he's getting picked on-
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010