Can someone explain the basal temp thing to me?

I have heard a bit about it, but I was just wondering exactly how it works and if anyone here has had success with using it?

mileymoo

Asked by mileymoo at 5:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Right after you ovulate, your body temp spikes about 1/10 of a degree. This lets you know when it's happened, but you'll have to map it out for a couple months in order to get a general idea of when you ovulate and where in cycle it comes. There are special thermometers for it, though I suppose any would work. Your temp can be taken orally, anally, or vaginally, but the last one is what is most accurate from what I hear.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Welll.....it is a form of torture..LOL No...Seriously ! It is a way to monitor if you are "fertile" ! You temperature is supposed to change by several degrees during that time period. You need a special thermometer that detects these small fluctuations. You need to take the temp. upon awakening every morning,before you place one step outta bed! If you have to pee....you had better be good at holding it! LOL seriously...it hurts! LOL Then you chart each mornings temps. With the graph, you are able to determine if or when you are ovulating....Supposedly! I did it for years and saw no great results. I was a real chore to do and I would not recommend it. Sorry! There are ovulation detection kits available now that seem a whole lot easier. good luck ..hope you have a positive preggo test real soon!

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I charted my temp while trying to get pregnant with two of my kids. I had great success and was pregnant within 3 months both times! I would highly recommend it, if you are a having trouble getting pregnant! A good book to get is "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" Bt Toni Weschler. It will teach you everything you need to know!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 5:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Basal thermometers are available at Walgreens or Walmart most ever where you shop. Print yourself out a temp chart or use one on line at .http://www.fertilityfriend.com
    has really good charting software that I used to get pregnant with my son after 7miscarriages.
    Get yourself the thermometer. Keep it and a chart next to your bed YOU MUST temp at the exact same time every am. SO set an alarm for yourself. Do not make much movement when you wake up to temp. Key is at the same time every day. You will see that your temp stays about the same every am when you wake when you get that BIG DIP that's the day you Ovulate. When it rises higher than your daily temps and remains high that show that you ovulated already. Usually charting for atleast 4m will give you indication if you are indeed ovulating. At fertility friend website there is charts to compare your chart to and lots of use full information.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2008