Do you agree with Jon Stewart & Bill O'Reilly that running for president is now a racket?

But two TV personalities found they were both card-carrying patriots when it comes to campaign "corruption."O'Reilly is "not convinced that anybody in America would be a good president at this point." He called running for the presidency a "racket" and attributes some of the corruption to having to "beg for" and raise a ton of money, needing $150 million to run.
"I don't like corrupt media, I don't like corrupt finances," Stewart said. "When are we going to come together and deal with the corruption at the heart of all these problems?"Candidates have to raise money, and engage in a political system of "I give you this but you got to do that," says O'Reilly. "They spend so much time raising money and kissing butt, they don't even think about problem solving. But it cuts both ways. The liberal pinheads are just as bad as the right-wing pinheads."
source:http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Election-2010/Vox-News/2010/0928/Jon-Ste

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 4:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yea, I think what they are saying is very true. I think there IS someone out there that would probably make a great president, probably quite a few but they don't have the means (150 mil) to get out there like these big wigs. And that is a big problem with our political stuff, the more money you have the better your chances.. that's not right IMO
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• oh yes, i completely agree with what they said! how can you really care and be invested in the american public when you're more invested in that company or big wig that helped you gain the presidency in the first place? and they can always hold this over their heads and when they actually take office they are immediately campaigning for their office AGAIN and doing whatever they can to please those companies. it's a shame really!
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 6:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes, it is a racket. Sadly.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Kind of, but only because we let it be.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes, I def agree.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I see that comments by Stewart,Colbert and O'Reilly were mixed together and confused as to who really believes what.....who knows what they really believe. Personally, it just depends on how YOU feel, and which comment you will back up,believe. I am not as pessimistic as most....I am not going to see it as a "racket" yet.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• yes
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yep and no party is immune- they both pander, just to different target groups.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010