how can I potty train in 3 days

adriana82

Asked by adriana82 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not going to and I wouldn't pressure your child into it  either. They will let you know when they are ready.

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I don't think that's a possibility. Why do you need to potty train that fast?
    my3turtles

Answer by my3turtles at 5:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• The basic premise of the 3-day, 1-day, and weekend systems is to give a child who is ready to learn a crash course in what the potty is and how to use it.

The most critical part of this is "a child who is ready to learn". Most companies that do this for you insist that the child be at least 2.5 years old. So if you are going to try, make sure your child is READY. That includes phyically able to stop what he is doing, get to the bathroom on his own, work his own clothes, use the potty, redo his clothes, flush, wash his hands, and go back to playing all with little or no help from you. It also means your child is in a cooperative phase, sleeping well, not sick, not teething, not starting a new school, not getting a new baby, new room, going on vacation, having house guests, etc.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Assuming all of that, you give your child nothing but salty foods and sweet drinks all day long and try to keep them confinded to a small area with the potty. Wearing pants of any sort is optional. Every time they use the potty, you make a big deal out of it. Every time they don't, you calmly have them clean up. After 1, 2, or 3 days of this, the child will probably understand what the potty is for and how to use it. You then have the "follow-up" time (months long) that they don't mention on the cover of the book. They will still have accidents, they will still regress when things change in their lives. They are still tiny, tiny children who are new to the process.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I don't know about your child buy mine would have an all day melt down if I tried to confine her to a small area for the day. Trying to do it for multiple days would be asking for a nervous breakdown for both of us and I'm pretty sure would cause her to NEVER want to even see the potty again. And I could forget about asking her to sit on it. I am fairly certain I would have to put everything away for at least 3 months (probably 6), throw out the potty I have and start all over again with a new, different potty. But that's my child. I'm sure this method can work - at the right time, with the right child.
    kaycee14

• Depending on the age of the child if this approach will work (My son was 2 1/2 when we did this)
    PUT the child in underwear and ask every 20 min. Take them to the potty! Sit with them sing songs (Fishy fishy in a the brook, (Childs name)catch it on a hook, Mommy fries it in a pan, Baby eats it like a man. LOL. My son loved that one. or his other personal favorite Take me out to the ball game. Long song and he was usually peeing by the time 1,2,3 strikes your out.
    If they go Praise praise praise. If not then try again in another 20 min. My son got so tired of my making him go like that for the 1st day the 2nd he told me when he had to go. I also took him every time I went announcing that I had to go potty and then I'd say...Run, run, run. I think making it into a game and a fun exciting thing to do will make going potty more fun.

BE PATIENT, HAVE FUN, AND FORGIVE ACCIDENTS. GOOD luck
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Oh - I like the "who can get to the potty first" idea. We are in the early stages now and I'll have to try that.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Well there was this woman on that new The Doctors tv show that does a potty training boot camp, and has kids potty trained in 5 hours...so i guess it's possible, you juat have to be consistant
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• The 3 day method...look here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/51829/forums/read/8048225/The_3_day_Potty_training_book
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 1:26 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• You pick out three days where you don't go anywhere and you stay by your child's side every moment. Your child should be in underwear and a t-shirt only. You're supposed to stay by their side, and you want to catch every accident, rushing him to the potty. You want to keep reminding him to tell you and when he goes in the potty, to get all excited and tell him he's a big boy. Oh, in the beginning, you have him throw away all diapers and tell him he's a big boy now. The main thing is to catch EVERY accident, as they go. You can take them if they "tell" you, by signs and such. You don't take them unless they "tell" you somehow, or if they're having an accident. You give them lots of liquids and good to help them to keep having to go. By the end of the third day, it should "click" and they should be able to let you know when they have to go. The link above was the basic book someone posted in a group.

sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 1:32 PM on Apr. 18, 2009