Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Can you charge a 20 year old for...

Can you charge a 20 year old for satutory rape (sp) with a 16 even if the 16 year old wanted to and was willing? We live in PA

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (13)
  • In PA, the law says that a person commits a felony of the second degree when that person engages in sexual intercourse with a complainant under the age of 16 years and that person is four or more years older than the complainant and the complainant and the person are not married to each other.

    Since one is 16 years of age, I don't think you can. .

    Answer by layh41407 at 6:27 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • In most states 16 is the legal age, as long as the person is no more then 4 years older. Sorry. Why ruin someone's life because the 16 year old agreed to it???

    Theres alot of sex offenders that are out there because of things like this... If they 16 year old agreed, theres really nothing you can do. its stupid of them yes, but its their choice & the law in most states are on their side.

    The best thing you can do is teach the child, (Im pretty sure its a she) about B.C & being safe... Because at that age, their gonna do what they want to do anyway...

    Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • I really dont know. Is it worth ruining the older persons life over the younger ones choice?

    Answer by frndlyfn at 7:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • It depends on your state law....Usually 16years old is considered legal, but I agree with frndlyfn, unless of course he is like into drugs or drinking or something. but thats my opinion. I think 16 and 20 isn't that bad.

    Answer by BigfordBrat at 7:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • I think that whether the 16 yr old was willing or not, the 20 yr old is a legal adult and they are 4 yrs older than the 16 yr old child. I don't think you could press statutory rape, but I would look into charges such as "contributing to the delinquency of a minor". If you forbid them to be together, then they are together anyway, it would be a violation.

    (4) under 18 years of age to be absent from the custody of a parent, guardian, or custodian without the permission of the parent, guardian, or custodian or without the knowledge of the parent, guardian, or custodian, unless the child's disabilities of minority have been removed for general purposes under AS 09.55.590 or the person has immunity under AS 47.10.350 or 47.10.398(a); it is an affirmative defense to a prosecution under this paragraph that, at the time of the alleged offense, the defendant

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • cont

    Each State has different definitions of what contributing to the delinquency entails, but the above is a sample of one requirement. It's not considered a sex crime, it is considered to be a class A misdemeanor.

    Honestly, this is the route I would go with - get a restraining order to keep him away from your dd, then press the contributing to the delinquency charge if he continues.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • Wow - that's rough. Honestly, if the girl is disrespecting your wishes regarding your desires for her sexuality, I don't think going after the 20 year old will keep her celibate. She'll be crushed and find someone else to bump uglies with once the older guy is out of the picture. What you will have accomplished is destroying a man's life, not restraining your daughter from sexual activity.

    Since the horse has already left the barn, maybe a more proactive approach with your daughter would be advisable. Perhaps helping her to volunteer in a battered woman's shelter or a rape-crises center? How about getting a part-time job at a day care? My guess is that she is reacting to the hormonal drives her body is naturally producing, without using her brain to think about consequences or the future. Exposing her to real results of what that risky behavoir will do more to curb her behavior than restricting access to one guy.

    Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:04 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • You could try, but I wouldn't. Why ruin this guys life when your DD was a willing partner. This is a tough call


    Answer by zbee at 12:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • If your daughter is a willing partner, why ruin his life? You need to check your state laws, the age of consent in Wisconsin is 18. It doesn't matter how many years is between the 18 yr old and the minor.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • This happened to my father, and he spent my whole life in prison. Please don't ruin his life.

    Answer by WomanWitty at 5:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.