Anyone have a son, or knows a boy ~ that had to have surgery for a HERNIA?

My son had surgery a week ago today, his dr said no heavy lifting or PE for 2 weeks ... He seems to be doing just well, and is asking me if he could PEASE play PE .... should I let him, call the dr and ask, or wait 2 wks?

NYladybug

Asked by NYladybug at 6:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Health

• call the dr and see what he recommends
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't, doc said 2 weeks, but call first if you think he should. Girls can have hernias too...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• They give you those precautions for a reason. He could rupture the sutures and you're back to square one OR he could do more damage than was repaired to begin with. I wouldn't allow my DS to participate in PE for the full 2 weeks, even if he feels better..."the doctor said so."
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my sister's daughter had a hernia, but it went away on it's own, then one of her twins had a hernia and they operated but he was only like 1, so he wasn't lifting things..... I also have an ex boyfriend that had one(when he was like 27) and he had it fixed and he said it was the worst pain he has ever been in.... like he seriously wanted me to take him to the emergency room!
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 9:41 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would wait the 2 weeks. My son had hernia surgery when he was 2. We were told to limit his activity, which was very hard for a 2 year old. The doctor stressed the importance of the 2 weeks because you can rupture the sutures and have to have it done again, which could set him back even further. Not to mention more pain.
    jellybean35

Answer by jellybean35 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Explain to your son what a Hernia is. After that he should understand without a doubt why the doctor said 2 weeks.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Oh, and the school should be backing you on this, the school will definitely want a release from the doctor for you son to participate in P.E.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My nephew just had sugery for his hernia i dont think its a good idea to let him play PE if he still has his sitches you shouldnt let him do any activies like running ,wrestling with his friends, etc just wait the 2 weeks or dr. premission .. good luck to you and your little boy i have he has a safe and good recovery ..
    sexigurl09

Answer by sexigurl09 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2010