Why Is That?

Why is it that when you talk to God, you are said to be praying, but when God talks to you you are said to be schizophrinic? (sp?)

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 6:57 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because people don't believe the bible literally anymore.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 7:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Because you would be schizophrenic or at least on drugs to be hearing voices, audible voices and not the inner self that many call the voice of God. Which begs the question, are all religious leaders that claimed to have God talking to them, schizophrenic or on some kind of drugs?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Because imaginary friends are normal. Auditory hallucinations are not normal.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:50 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Because not many people believe God actually speaks - in an audible way - to people.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Because G-d has other ways of answering our prayers than actual voices. And we know that "hearing voices" is usually a sign of a psychiatric problem, not religious enlightement.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• cause ppl dont know the actual definition of schizophrenic. if the voices are positive, giving you hope, etc than (psychologically) its considered your subconscious giving you what you need to get thru this life. if the voices are negative, violent, etc then the person is considered schizophrenic.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• often times when god speaks it's not in the literal voice that you hear when someone next to talks to you. it's through people or circumstances that god speaks or answers your prayers. i do believe he can talk in a normal voice but i can't claim he ever has to anyone or me for that matter.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think it comes down to what God is saying to you and how... I mean, my Gods speak to me all the time, but I don't hear voices in my head telling me to kill people either. I wouldn't automatically label someone schizo simply because they say God talks to them... BUT, there are factors which would make me think there was something else going on there...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Because God only talks to the prophets so when you hear "God" it couldn't possibly be God unless you are one of his prophets which is pretty unlikely.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 4:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Because they don't understand God or the way He communicates. He can "speak" to us in many different ways. He's God! He can do what He wants, the way that He wants to do it. You can't put God in a box.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 7:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010