Negative self image at 8 yrs old!

My DS seems to be constantly saying bad things about himself...."i'm stupid, you don't love me, you hate me, I am dumb, I want to die."
I've done some reading on this, and I know at this age they can be VERY critical of themselves. I am constantly telling him how wonderful he is, how much I love him, and how smart he is. He hears it from everyone around him. BUt he won't stop with this kind of talk. It's really starting to get to me....the negativity is getting under my skin and I am starting to feel like shit.
ARe you dealing with this....how do you handle it? I am at my wits end with this. As there are times he will be fine, saying he is smart, or asking "am I smart?!" with a smile on his face. He is generally a very happy, giving, caring child. So this back and forth is drving me crazy. HELP!!!

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:27 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds like he may need a counselor, because she is taking the "normal negative self-image" issues to a different level... consider taking him to a therapist. Depression at this age can lead to suicide very early on. It also sounds like he could have bipolar disorder (I have it, so it's easy for me to recognize symptoms). Either way, I think he needs professional help.

Other than that, continue building him up. Tell him that he is allowed to say whatever he feels, but that sometimes his negative feelings towards himself hurt you. Build up his confidence by telling him often how smart/funny/epically awesome you think he is, and hopefully some of it will stick.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 7:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Show him by actions more than talking about it. Hug him a lot and just have fun together. Have a special reading and talking time before bed each night. Let him know how being with him makes you feel. It's important to talk about feelings. Best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• If these negative feelings are persisting, I would get him into counseling, he may be dealing with some depression.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• keep redirecting him and encouraging him and listen when he talks to find out what's bother him
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:34 AM on Oct. 9, 2010