If i took my daughter's daytime nap away would that be such a bad thing?

for the last couple night's dd (23 months old) is refusing to go to bed at 8 (her usual bedtime).
So i told DH today that i was going to take away her daytime nap's to see if she will go to bed at 8 again.
He had the nerve to tell me that it was a bad idea to take her nap away and said she would go down hill....I was like how is a nap going to make her go down hill, and he said cause it will...and i was like fine you deal with her in the night time till 11 and 12 when she is ready to go to bed. And sure enough he had a quick change of heart....Ok he said try taking away her nap and see what happens.
I am sure i am not the only mom here that has a child this young that don't have a nap in the daytime right? She sleeps for 12-13 hrs in the night time....so she is getting alot of sleep!

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 8:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am really not in favor of 'taking naps away.' To me, if a child wants to sleep during the day, then let them sleep! Plus, they say that if a chid is overtired, she may sleep even worse at night. I don't think there's any harm in trying it, though.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My two boys stopped napping at the age of 2. Your instincts are correct. It might be a tough transition for a couple of days. I remember the boys falling asleep at supper and their faces going right into their plate!! But it doesn't take long and is just another "chapter". Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I had to do that with my daughter when she was about 22 months. She would stay up until 11 pm or later if she had even an hours nap. Now that we took it away sometimes she's fussier in the evening but usually not too bad. She goes to be by 8:30 and is out! It actually worked out really well for us, if anything give it a try and if it is awful maybe move naptime up and shorten it 30-45 min.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• my son quite napping at a very young age as others still do at his age now. if she gets enough exercise and wears off some energy, she will be able to go to bed ealier. i think you are right in switching things up so that you can get her on the right track. night times are suppose to be relaxing and settling down and this may do the trick. if she gets crabby during the day, you could let her settle down and watch tv or something, it might take her a bit to adjust to a full day of being awake
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Try it, if she's really cranky or out of sorts, just switch back. My DS (2.5) hasn't been taking regular naps for several months.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Only thing you can really do is try it out and see how it goes....maybe you could try shortening her nap, instead of letting her sleep the whole time wake her up so she doesnt get a long nap.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I've let my girl just tell me when she's tired her whole life. She's changed her naptimes up on me quite a bit in the last 2 yrs and I just figured it was because she's growing and her body's needs are changing. I've never been able to get my girl to go down any time I put her down, but she always took her naps and once she changed a naptime she consistently napped at that time (or times) for a couple of months. Bedtime always is the same, anywhere between 8 and 9 she'll just stop playing and go "Mommy put me to sleep". <3 :)
    When she turned 2 she kind of stopped taking naps altogether... just a ball of energy all day. :) But recently she's started napping again around 1 or 2. She doesn't do it every day though. She's grown a lot in the last couple of months, though. I think the recent burst of naps accounts for that.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My son is 3 1/2 and still needs his nap, but he doesn't sleep that long at night. I would probably try shortening it first.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You should shorten her naptime and when she wakes trier her out so when it's bedtime she'll be to sleepy to stay up. Wish you luck.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 9:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I know for my kid, skipping a daytime nap is a bad idea because she gets cranky and overtired and refuses to go to bed. If your daughter could be okay, give it a try.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2010