i need a brilliant idea - fast! how do i surprise my husband?

I am throwing a surprise party for my husbands 30th bday - this friday night. everyone is coming at 7:30. My husband works like crazy - i have no idea when he will get home from work, it varies between 4 and 6:30. He is very set in his ways - and WILL NOT go out AT ALL on friday nights. He says his weeks are hectic and friday he likes to relax, so we usually go out saturday nights. What can I do to get him gone for a few hours so I can decorate and get everyone in the house??? My neighbor said he could take him for beers but I know DH won't go. My neighbor said he could pretend to break down somewhere - but when DH gets there the car would be fine...??? It has to take long enough - and idk when he'll get home from work to start with??? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 8:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Will he take the kids to a park or somewhere fun for a few hours while you "rest" from your horrible headache? lol
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• how about if your nieghbor needs something fixed in thier house? like seriously needs fixing.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• well if he was next door - he'd see everyone coming...
    he wouldn't take them to the park - he'd just go hang out net door. (we are close with our neighbors.)

.........? I am so stuck on this! :(
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Could you talk to someone at his work? Could there be an unexpected emergency that resolves itself before he gets there - but he wouldn't know about it until he drove all the way out there?

Can you send him to the grocery store for something you need right that minute? Something that'll be difficult for him to find?

Can the friend asking to take him out for beers really need to talk to him - make it less of a social outing to celebrate the birthday but more of a "hey, I really need someone to talk to"?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• do you know his boss well enough to ask him to say he needs him till 6:30 or 7 depending on how long it takes to get home and then everyone would be there when he gets home. Could you send him on an errand that would take awhile he may be po'd but when he gets home he'll appreciate the surprise. Good luck.
    tcb101897

Answer by tcb101897 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• the neighbor could say his car ran out of gas and have hubby bring him some gas in a can. he wouldn't know that wasn't true (well make sure the neighbor's car is not on full of course lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Have his mother, sister, a female friend call and say her car is broke down. Have someone to pull a few spark plugs in her car, when he get there it'll take him atleast 10 minutes. Whom ever you get should be on the other side of town. Hopefully that will add more time on to his route. If everything works maybe it'll give you more then 30 mins. If he doesn't mind shopping maybe you can have him stop at a store to get something. If all else fells just have your guests be there when he get home, he'll still be surprised!
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 8:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Maybe you could talk to his boss in private and find out an approximate time he will be getting off. Then the car breakdown was a good idea just have him go to that persons house, say the car broke down somewhere near. When he gets there his friend can say he got the car started, but he would also like to talk to him about a problem he's having. Maybe he thinks his wife is cheating, or his girlfriend is pregnant, I'm sure your friend can be creative and waste some time
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think these ladies here have come up with some great answers! I also think that it is a good idea for your neighbor to ask him to go for a drink so he can discuss some problems with him that he may pretend to have! That will take up the time you need to get everything ready for him!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yeah, have him go to the grocery store and tell him you need panko. (no matter how many times I send DH for this he never can find it) While he's there, have a neighbor text him and tell him he's out of gas. That should be plenty of time.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2010