What are our Parents thinking?

It never ceses to amaze me when the parents come to visit they have to tell us what we're doing wrong? Why is that?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 8:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• They are trying to be helpful.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I just say, if you were such a great parent how did you raise me to me such a crappy one... that usually quiets them down ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• At times the best response to them is saying OK and and do it with a smile. Wink

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• idk....my mom is passed and my dad doesn't say much of anything. tell you the truth i would love to get some parenting advice from her eventhough it's unsolicited lol. i don't think they're doing it to be mean..... remember that they love your kid(s) too and usually old people love to put their 2 cents in anyhow lol. makes them feel important/needed so i would just let it go in one ear and out the other and remind them that i haven't killed them yet so i must not be too far off!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Because they've already been through it and want to help.
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 9:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Soyousay - LOL!!!

I rarely get advice, when I do, I just nod my head and smile and do it my own way anyway.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My parents have never done that.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am glad I am not the ONLY one this happens too!!! Mine is not my dad...he is pretty laid back....keeps his opinions to himself....but my mom makes up for him...she is worse than they would be together!!!!

I try really hard to let it roll off my back....or just turn a deaf ear...but its very hard to do sometimes!!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Since I did things so much different from my mother she felt I was saying I thought she did a bad job raising me (this was after many arguments and finally a good heart to heart). I explained that I was doing the best with the information I had available to me right now and she did the same when she raised me. Things have gotten significantly better between us now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My parents don't do this. The only people who do that don't come out and say "here's what you're doing wrong" but get to it in a backhanded way. I just say something like "that's interesting" and change the subject. I don't care for unsolicited advice.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2010