Would you have a problem with this?

We are getting out of financial difficulty and have filed for bankruptcy in June. There is a convention that occurs every year that my husband and I attend for his position at a committee board he is a part of.HIs parent will be away at another committee dance in another state and will not be able to watch my son who is 14. He told me that he does not think I could go because of these circumstances. Do you think he is being selfish? He is now asking for a loan on his pension to cover costs. I am at wits end. My son is my responsibility no doubt but what about what hubby wants to do? By the way the convention is at a casino area tourist spot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• If this is what he does, Then I think it is up to him. Sorry but my husband makes the calls. I dont always agree but I respect his role.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• He shouldn't be going either, if you have to take a loan, especially in your circumstances, no one should be attending.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i don't think its financially feasible, not to mention smart, for either one of you to attend.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• if you have to take out a loan to go, then you shouldn't be going. period.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Unless his company is paying for his trip, he really shouldn't go either. I realize that it may be pertinent to his job, but the funds can't come from you.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Yes he is being very selfish. First, you are trying to recover financially so why would he even consider going to a casino? Second if you both usually go together then if one stays home then both should stay home. Why is it that he gets to go and not you if someone "must" go? Why does he get to decide? I thought a marriage was a partnership. Okay it may be for his job but it is not a mandatory requirement.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• It sounds like this may not be something job related...I wouldn't think either of you should go. Taking out a loan to attend a convention is just not a good financial decision.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• He is just being so selfish
    patsymay84

Answer by patsymay84 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• He does not need to go. If he borrows against his pension, that is a financial no no.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Is your husband borrowing specifically for this trip? Then he shouldn't be going. Could you stay at a cheaper nearby hotel, and bring your son along? Could your son stay at a friend's? One of my son's friends is staying here next week (15-y-o) when his parents go to Europe. It is reasonable to ask a close friend to do this for you.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 10:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2010