Anyone know of a dog-proof trash can?

My chocolate lab, Liberty Belle, gets into our trash can every time I forget to put a weight on top. I am REALLY tired of picking up after her as well as the kids!

MeggieSwan

Asked by MeggieSwan at 9:31 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Well if she is hungrier then bulk up her food with veggies. Like cooked carrots, green beans or pumpkin. They poop it out and it fills them up. I have a huge trash can from the container store that is a flip lid that you open with your foot works pretty good but it is huge you have to go to Sam's club to get trash bags big enough.
    http://www.nextag.com/12-Gallon-Rubbermaid-Plastic-720080938/prices-html?nxtg=4d8f0a500501-2AED546DC4283D41
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Simple Human makes trash cans that are pretty much dog-proof. They are step-cans, and the lid is inside the outer rim of the can. They are expensive ($100-$200), but I've never had a dog get into my trashcan.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Thanks Scuba. Saw one on Amazon for $160. As my DH said, it's a problem, but not a $160 problem! Perhaps if she dragged some garbage into his office..... ;o)
    MeggieSwan

Comment by MeggieSwan (original poster) at 9:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• OMG, if you find one I'd like to know - our chocolate lab is the same!! Design one and make your fortune.... In the meantime, the idea I was given by our vet is balloons. Marvin would climb up to the work top and eat everything - bread bin, fruit bowl - whatever we left out. The balloons worked. Stick a balloon to the top with sticky tape (at least you don't have to keep remembering the weight) - when she climbs up the bang of the balloon should give her a fright. She may stop after a few times... worth a try. I'd go for cheap balloons - pop quicker. If she doesn't like water on her face (ours doesn't), you could even do water bombs - a bang and a wet nose at the same time ... And before I get done for animal cruelty!! - I've been a vegetarian for over 13 years and our dog got out last night and ate other people's bins and has had vomiting and a bad stomach all day... there's things in bins that aren't good for them :-(
    Clairemum2three

Answer by Clairemum2three at 9:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• We were told by the vet that we had to cut back Libby's diet and she's dropped about 10 lbs this summer. She's much more active and healthy now, but also MUCH hungrier!! We have an invisible fence with a remote controller that we used to train her when she was a pup (she's now 8), but the remote doesn't work. Might be cheaper to replace that...
    MeggieSwan

Comment by MeggieSwan (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I would like to know if you find a dog proof trash can as well. Our border collie gets into trash too!
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• OK - I see a business opportunity opening up!
    MeggieSwan

Comment by MeggieSwan (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• All sorts of tips on this site and places you can find dog proof trash cans.
    http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/02/dog_proof_trash_can.php
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was watching Victoria Stilwell's show "It's Me or the Dog" one day and the people on the show had a dog that was always getting into the trash can. Victoria had them put a 10lb weight in the bottom of the can (it was a small dog though, you would need a much heavier weight of course). If that doesn't work, you could put the trash can in a room that you can keep the door closed or put it outside.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2010