• In the Spotlight:

Bean Fest

Every year we have whats called a bean fest, and we cook a big pot of beans outside over the open fire. We want to make it a little more fun this year got any ideas for some games we could play outside, maybe even bean games?

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sounds like a good time...we used to do something like that up in Maine. You can make little bean-bags out of cloth that the kids can play tic-tac-toe with on a laid-out board or cloth with the lines for the game. Or have a leaning board with holes in it for the players to throw their bean bags into. Prizes are fun.
    Basically, us kids just used to run around and play with each other while the grownups chit-chatted. When it was time to eat, us kids sat on the ground or on blankets with our bowls of beans and cornbread (Johnny cake) while the grownups sat at the picnic tables. Then we'd have apple desserts and Indian pudding for dessert...yum!
    Sugaring time was my favorite time of the year, though. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:50 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I don't know if it is still made or not, but when I was a kid there was a game called "Don't Spill the Beans" that you could play. You could also fill a bowl with dried beans and hide small objects in them, then take turns reaching in to find the objects, guess what they are, and if you get it right you get a prize. For a treat, you could make black bean brownies (super easy).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• PrydferthMenyw, You have me curious how do you make Indian pudding?
    Momabear455

Comment by Momabear455 (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Hi Momabear....I can't place my hands on my Grammy's recipes at the moment, but I remember it being thick and rich with a delicious flavor. It was given as a dessert, but I know she served it as a side dish at Thanksgiving a lot, too. I'll have to keep looking for that recipe box she gave me...I'm good for putting away precious items and then forgetting where. :(
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2010