Christians? Eat Bacon?? Yessss? Nooooo? PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION!!

Okay, so there is now an ongoing debate in my house about bacon. Pork!! Dh swears up and down that in the bible it says we can eat pork. As far as I know, no, we cannot.

So help me out here ladies because dh is acting like an addict running around all grumpy. Like a child I say, screaming about his freakin bacon with his pancakes!!

So those of you that are christians, do you eat bacon? What justifies that for you? Can you provide scripture for me to show that IT IS OKAY?

**NO BASHING, JUDGING OR ANYTHING ALONG THOSE LINES. GET ALONG LADIES**

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 9:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Yes, I eat bacon, and I'm a Christian. It's late here and I'm about ready to head to bed, or I would provide you with more scriptural reference, but here's one just off the top of my head - Matthew 15:11 What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.

Something to keep in mind, and this is not meant as a "bash", but if you are taking the stance that pork, based on the old testament, is an "unclean" meat, then are you also avoiding shrimp, lobster, etc (shellfish were also unclean), and are you keeping kosher - for example - no cheese on your burger, no chicken that has been dipped in an egg batter, basically no mixing of dairy and meat in a meal, etc?

If you don't want the bacon for dietary reasons, I can see that, but, for me, I don't think there's a religious reason. Also, have you considered turkey bacon as a compromise :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• The part in the bible about pork was in the laws meant for Jews. Every Christian I have ever known eats bacon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i eat bacon, occasionally. not every day, or even every month. scripture that tells me its ok? you got me there. i've never given any thought to it. what goes into my body for food/nutrition is not my 'eternal' concern. my earthly concern is whether its good for me (fat, calories, cholestoral,etc.).
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Leviticus. First few verses. Not enough room to copy/paste the whole thing here. Look it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I am Seventh Day Adventist and I do not eat bacon. I believe the Bible has told us it is unclean and that we are not to eat it for health reasons.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 10:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I was just going to say what luvmysonjames said. My family are Christians and they do not eat bacon, due to the health message of their church. The Bible does say that it is unclean. It's in Deuteronomy. If you are an Old and New Testament Christian then you belive this.
    It doesn't just apply to Jewish people.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• You can eat bacon, if you want to. The NT says things about it being more important what comes out of your mouth than what you put into it. But, if you don't want to, then don't. I don't eat pork, because I feel better not doing so, though I don't believe it is a "sin"

Mamacsb

Answer by Mamacsb at 10:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• @ sailorwifenmom
    I'm not necessarily taking a stance on it. I just want to do what it right. I have no problem with bacon. Dh brought up the issue about a month ago, claiming there will be no more pork in the house. Now for the last week he's been bananas about pork. I was just trying to figure out if dh was having withdrawals(lol), or if he really had a point here. Thank you very much for your insight.

Thank all of you for your insight.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I'm a Christian and I love bacon. I believe the laws in the OT were more about ritual purity than about morality/sin, more about setting themselves apart than about actual issues of sin.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I know the Bible says something...as for where, I wouldn't have the foggiest clue where to start looking (born & raised Christian, raising my kids in the church too, yet I don't know my Bible). I have friends who refuse to eat pork not because of what the Bible says, but because pigs are vile nasty animals who will eat infection off another animal. We personally don't eat much pork, because it's cheaper for us to purchase beef. We do eat bacon, not a whole lot, and we love ham, and once a year I like to make meatballs with a pork/beef mix...but pork in general, no we don't eat much. After some thought, there is something in the Bible about NOT eating pork because they're dirty diseased animals...this is going to bug me now. I'll come back if I come up with anything solid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2010