Homosexuality...

Okay, I know the old testament says something about men shall not lie with other men or something like that. But aren't christians supposed to go by the new testament, right? They are not bound by old testament laws, correct? So, does the new testament say anything about homosexuality being a sin or is it just the old testament? And if the new doesn't say anything about it, then why do most christians believe that being gay is a sin if they aren't bound by the old testament laws anymore? Just curious!

circle_of_life

Asked by circle_of_life at 10:13 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I would like this question answered as well.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• good question
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 10:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Thanks, now somebody answer it, lol!
    circle_of_life

Comment by circle_of_life (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• There are some verses that, depending on the translation, can be interpreted to mean no homosexuality. I don't know what they are though. I am a Christian, and I think God loves homosexuals just as much as he loves straight people, jmo.

Mamacsb

Answer by Mamacsb at 10:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• The OT has not been invalidated. True, we are not bound by the 600 some laws that Jews are, but that doesn't mean that the OT should be thrown out. It was included for a reason.

HOWEVER, I don't believe that homosexuality is a sin, especially since I don't believe that the word translated into homosexual meant a monogamous homosexual relationship, but instead referred to pedophilia, prostitution, and ritual sex. I also believe that homosexuality is natural and that God cares more THAT we love than He does how or who we love.

I do agree that we are not bound by may of the "laws" of the OT, the practices of the Jews that were, as I understand, more about ritual purity than morality or sin....

I find it ironic that Jews themselves have accepted homosexuality (the Reform and Conservative sects agreed to ordain homosexuals as rabbis back in 2007) while many Christians still preach against it (not all of us, though).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• There is no statement in the new testament about being and/or acting "gay". However, a lot (not all) Christians believe in practice the Bible in its entirety... there are so many Christian denominations that are excepting now.
    brysonsmommie84

Answer by brysonsmommie84 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Bandgeek, that's cool! I agree. God is love, so yeah, I think he wants us to LOVE!
    circle_of_life

Comment by circle_of_life (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Our church does not accept it, as we do not accept lying, cheating, stealing, adultry and other things as instructed in the NEW as well as in the Old testament. Romans 26" For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error", also, other sins: "28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Let us not forget that not only these people (including homosexuals) in error, but those that are accepting of it as well...including these churches: "31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them."
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Other verses also including: 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that homosexual “offenders” will not inherit the kingdom of God.

We do not teach to hate people. We love people as God loves us, but He also instructs us what is acceptable to HIM and this is one of the areas. If someone comes to us hungry, hurt, tattered clothes, in need of fellowship, we care not whether he/she is black, white, one legged, gay, or any other number of things. We care for the HUMAN needs.

People try to make excuses as to the New testament that it does not refer to homosexuality (oh really?), they try to water down Scripture to suit themselves, but God says His Word STANDS.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2010