how often are you nursing?

My son is 2months old now and finally got breastfeeding down (we have had every issue in the book) but I have no idea for how long he goes in between feedings. I can tell when he's hungrey so I nurse, I dont look at the clock. How long will your 2month old go between nursing? or whats the norm. if there is any?

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh and he likes to eat!! He was a ten pound baby and is at 14lbs now maybe alittle over. But he does like his food!!!
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i don't breast feed anymore (my LO is 1 and a half now) but i remember going thru that too. i kind of just figured that if she's hungry that you feed her. but later it seemed sooo constant, like she was always hungry. so i had to start watching the clock. i think (if i recall correctly) it was every 3 to 4 hours? because when she was a new born she used to eat EVERY 2 hours on the dot. so i just added an hour.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Every baby is different. At two months, our son was nursing 5 to 6 times per day or 3 to 4 hours in between feedings. On average, he nursed about 20 minutes on each side. The reason I know how often and how much is because we kept a pretty detailed record of the feeding times, and we still do even though he is almost 7 months old now. A reason we have kept a detailed log is because the pediatrician's office always asks how often and how many times a day. Your baby will always let you know when he is hungry. My OBGYN suggested that I breastfeed our son every 3 to 4 hours during the day so that he may go longer in between feedings during the night because the baby is going to get all of the calories it needs one way or another. If you do every 3 to 4 hours during the day, his is more likely to get them then instead of at night. Most of us deal better with a more sleep. Good luck and Congratulations on your little one!!
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 11:50 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• thanks I think that sounds about right, I dont think I ever made to to the 4 hrs mark except during the night but I'm thinking the 3 hrs sounds about right, I just wanted to check! Thanks
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• My daughter was nursing about every 2-3 hours until about 11 months.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• There isn't a norm, actually. All kinds of variations are common.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2010