discipline??? ahh!!!!

my son is 3 years old... i haven't forgotten that he's still going thru some stages but he's being so disobedient! i'd tell him to go take a nap and he'd sneak out of bed and stand in the hall way watching the t.v. while i'm not looking. he'd wake up earlier than me just so he can sneak in some cookies before breakfast. etc. etc. etc. it never ends! i've never had THIS much problems with him before! time outs used to work so well, and if it's severe i wouldn't mind spanking him. but NOTHING IS WORKING RIGHT NOW! help me out with some ideas mommas!

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 10:51 AM on Oct. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with the moms that say all of this behaior is totally normal. Just continue to share your heart and let moms around you encourage & remind you that it is ok, most children behave this way. One new thing I am trying is 'TIME IN ' instead of 'TIME OUT'. It allows my son to be next to me instead of being told (basically) get away from me, you are really making me nuts right now and I don't want to be around you. When we allow them to be close to us they start to understand that we want to change the behavior, however we do not want to be away from them and that they really bug us!!! Hopefully that is'nt what we want to communicate to them LOL.... The fact that you are reaching out for help & you are open to hear from others concerning this issue, I know that you are a good mother and you care about your child. Keep up the good work. We are all in the same boat & all need encouragement & direction from time to time.
    blessedwork

Answer by blessedwork at 3:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Buy some construction paper and small cups. When he does something, instead of normal time out, have him stand at a low table and give him the cup and the piece of paper. Have him stand and tear the paper into pieces and put them into the cup. Every time he is in trouble, have him tear paper. Smaller and smaller each time. The first couple times, he will love it. By the fourth time, he will despise tearing paper. BUT, on the bright side, he will be developing his fine motor skills all the while. And soon, the mention of tearing paper will make him stop whatever he is doing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• These are small things and are very normal. Just be persistent in correcting. No need to spank over these things.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• He sounds like a kid.

Put the cookies away at night so he can't get them don't let him know where they are.

wait for him if you know he is going to sneak out of bed surprise him, and tell him it is not nice. You are the parent, WELCOME TO MOMMY HOOD. lol
    redirect......
    Honestly,I think if you just change your habits he will learn to follow, dont' leave the cookies out, have the cartoon channel set on auto so the tv comes on. You can do it, just redirect, and catch him before he does it, if you keep it up eventually he will give up and do what he is suppose to do. Good luck...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Have you tried taking things away from him and making him earn them back? That is what finally ended up working best with my son. We would start with his favorite toys and such, and when he was good and minded and such he would get the back, little by little. It really started to bother him when he wanted to play with something that he had lost and I wouldn't let him and I explained, again, how he could get it back.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• i've done that with t.v. and outside time, and craft time. but with toys and stuff it won't work because he doesn't have a fav. he just plays with whatever he sees.
    khmymommi

Comment by khmymommi (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2010